• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied Benefits, is this Legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stunned

What is the name of your state? IL
When a Big Box Fortune 100 company promises benefits after a 90-day probation period, can they then legally refuse to provide those benefits because the benefits package information, although mailed, was never received by the employee? I've been told by a Sr. Benefits Analyst they send out 350,000+ each year and I can't believe I'm being penalized because they won't make an exception or offer any reasonable alternative.

ecmst12

Don't double post.

You have 30 days following a qualifying event (such as passing your 90 day probation period at a new job) to sign up for insurance. If you missed this window, REGARDLESS OF THE REASON, the insurance company is NOT LEGALLY ALLOWED to sign you up until the next benefit year. That's federal law and even if it's your employer's fault, nothing can be done about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">