• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Caraway2121

What is the name of your state?
Illinois

Hi i am a 25m in Illinois and i was in an accident in March. I rear ended another vehicle and there wasnt really much damage just a small dent, but we exchanged insurance information and we went our seperate ways. I am currently under my mom's insurance. Now i've never been in an accident before, so i thought the other guy was gonna contact my insurance provider and then they call me for more info and what not. Well a couple of days ago i received a letter from the other persons insurance company asking for more info on insurance and things and i find out that my insurance denied my claim. Apparently they have mailed me some things that i never received and i told them that. They said that they never had anything returned and they did call my mother once but i was never told of anything they were asking for. My insurance company said that they tried contacting me and after 30 days and i did not respond that they denied the claim and will now have to pay for everything out of pocket. The insurance company of the other driver is asking for 5000 and i barely have 2000 in my account. Is there anything i can do? I was under an active coverage and still am under coverage right now, is there a way to get myself covered by them still? My mother has alsonbeen out of the country since april and checked her mail and non of them have been from our insurance company. thank you

Dragonbits

What is the name of your state?
Illinois

Hi i am a 25m in Illinois and i was in an accident in March. I rear ended another vehicle and there wasnt really much damage just a small dent, but we exchanged insurance information and we went our seperate ways. I am currently under my mom's insurance. Now i've never been in an accident before, so i thought the other guy was gonna contact my insurance provider and then they call me for more info and what not. Well a couple of days ago i received a letter from the other persons insurance company asking for more info on insurance and things and i find out that my insurance denied my claim. Apparently they have mailed me some things that i never received and i told them that. They said that they never had anything returned and they did call my mother once but i was never told of anything they were asking for. My insurance company said that they tried contacting me and after 30 days and i did not respond that they denied the claim and will now have to pay for everything out of pocket. The insurance company of the other driver is asking for 5000 and i barely have 2000 in my account. Is there anything i can do? I was under an active coverage and still am under coverage right now, is there a way to get myself covered by them still? My mother has alsonbeen out of the country since april and checked her mail and non of them have been from our insurance company. thank you
Obviously in an accident you should always contact your insurance company regardless of who's at fault. Not that that does you any good right now.

If right now you have insurance coverage, why do you think it won't continue?

If your insurance tried to contact you, what method did they use and why didn't you get anything from them.

Do you live in the same household as your mother? Is it possible there is mail directed to her you don't know about? It might be useful to find out why you weren't aware of your insurance trying to contact you.

Talk again to your own insurance, explain the situation, if they still insist they won't cover you, get the adjusters name so that you can file a complaint with the Illinois Department of Insurance, that might work and it couldn't hurt.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Talk again to your own insurance, explain the situation, if they still insist they won't cover you, get the adjusters name so that you can file a complaint with the Illinois Department of Insurance, that might work and it couldn't hurt.
Mom will want to talk to the insurance company.

Dragonbits

Since you said it was a minor dent, another thing you will want to do is get a detailed written invoice of the repair or the estimate. $5K is pretty high for a minor dent.

I assume you are a listed driver and not a named insured, it lists both on the insurance policy.

Keep in mind either you, your mother or your car insurance will have to pay, there isn't any fourth choice, so you shouldn't waste any more time. Assuming your mother in the only named insured, she should call, but if it were me I would be on the phone with her also as ultimately you are responsible for the accident.

And you never stated who owns the car? I am assuming either you or your mother or both?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">