• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied firearm purchase for 2010 restraining order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I filed a restraining order against an ex-girlfriend in 2010 who lives in CA. I reside in RI and she filed a restraining order against me in 2010. There has been no contact since and I have not been served or notified of anything since. I was denied the purchase of a firearm today (Mar 2020) because the restraining order is "non-expiring". I have no criminal record, no arrests. How is this possible? Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I filed a restraining order against an ex-girlfriend in 2010 who lives in CA. I reside in RI and she filed a restraining order against me in 2010. There has been no contact since and I have not been served or notified of anything since. I was denied the purchase of a firearm today (Mar 2020) because the restraining order is "non-expiring". I have no criminal record, no arrests. How is this possible? Thanks.
There is no way that anyone here can answer your question. I would suggest that you get a copy of the order and go from there.

xylene

You are subject to a restraining order.

Don't be so gapingly confused. This a well known and perfectly sensible provision of the law.

You need a lawyer to see if the RO can be lifted. There are lawyers for whom 'firearm rights' are an area of specialty.

Perpare yourself to spend a lot of money and get nowhere, as gthere is usually a reason an RO is perpetual.

Also - there is going to be ZERO action on this for likely several months given the COVID-19 siutation.

Just Blue

Did you go to court in 2010 to contest the RO?

I was allowed to call in to the court since I'm an RI resident and she was/is a CA resident. I believe the original restraining order was five years but I need to see if I still have the paperwork. I don't understand how it can be "non-expiring" now. Nothing has changed since 2010 and we've had no contact (nor does either want to).

Just Blue

I was allowed to call in to the court since I'm an RI resident and she was/is a CA resident. I believe the original restraining order was five years but I need to see if I still have the paperwork. I don't understand how it can be "non-expiring" now. Nothing has changed since 2010 and we've had no contact (nor does either want to).
What reason was the RO granted?

The situation has literally never come up since 2010. Bad breakup, we both filed restraining orders, went our separate ways. I've had no reason to even think about it until today. So I was shocked I was denied the purchase of a rifle. Denial was at the federal level.

I am aware of the restrictions in gun ownership. I'm just inquiring about how a restraining order for text messages from 2010 can still be in effect today with no notification whatsoever. I have not been "served" or called about anything. Neither of us have spoken to each other in ten years and are not involved or want to be involved in each others' lives. No kids involved either.

xylene

If you said it was 5 supposed to be years, what did you do in 2015?

You really should have been proactive about the final disposition of something that has major adverse life consequences to your rights as a citizen.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am aware of the restrictions in gun ownership. I'm just inquiring about how a restraining order for text messages from 2010 can still be in effect today with no notification whatsoever. I have not been "served" or called about anything. Neither of us have spoken to each other in ten years and are not involved or want to be involved in each others' lives. No kids involved either.
Those are NOT questions that we can answer. You will need to get copies of the documents in the file. As mentioned above, that's going to be very difficult at the present time.

Nothing. No contact between either of us since 2010. I'm aware I'm not going to find all the answers on an internet board, but wanted to get feedback. I've reached out just now to get copies of whatever is out there.

I will likely be looking at a crossbow to defend my property against Coronavirus looters ;) What a great country we live in where veterans with no criminal record but a restraining order from a pyscho from 10 years ago denies 2nd Amendment rights!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">