• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied Health Insurance with Kaiser

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

leah90401

I received a letter from Kaiser on 10/15/01 stateing that they are not able to approve me for insurance because I am overweight and have asthma. I can't not believe that in order to get health insurance I have to be a certain weight. That is very offensive and not right. There has to be something I can do about this but I don't know what. Someone Please Help Me!:confused:

ALawyer

Insurance is NOT a charity nor a government service, but a way of people who have a similar risk profile to pool and share the risks and costs, essentially using the insurance company as an intermediary for extra riskbearing (as if there is an occassional disaster).

For example, if there are 10,000 homes in an area that are pretty much the same, and statistics show an average of 1 home in 10,000 has a fire each year, the cost for fire insurance is easy to caclulate. And the homeowners can in essence share the pooled risk that one of them is going to have an accidental fire.

BUT if at one of the homes someone was constantly playing with loose gasoline and matches, its odds of having a fire are much higher, and no one would want to insure that house. Would you think that that gasoline ladden house should pay the same premium as the other 9,999 careful houses? Or even get fire insurance at all -- it's a disaster ready to happen.

Sadly, that's similar to your situation. You have VERY serious risk factors, and no sane insurance company wants a way above average risk, not can they afford to take you on at standard or even higher rates. And to he extent you are very overweight, it should be in your control. Lifestyle represents 80% of healthcare costs.

Now perhaps there should be the equivalent of Medicare for everyone but there is not, and that's a political issue, with pros and cons. And there is Medicaid for those below the poverty line.

But in our private sector economy, if you want health insurance, and you can't get it thru an employer based "group" plan, you have to be a reasonably normal risk. SOMETIMES there are plans that are required to have limited open enrollment periods in which they take all comers. But there are fewer and fewer of them, yet that's what you should look for. Ask your state insurance department and managed care regulatory authority.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">