• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied health insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chemicalhero

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I work 40 hours a week and my company has me as college student status and not full or part time. Part time employees working over 30 hours a week get full benefits, same as full time employees. My employer states that since I am under college student status I am allowed to work however many hours I want but I am not eligible to receive benefits whatsoever. Can they do this? Do they have to offer me insurance since I work 40 hours per week?

Beth3

Can they do this? Yes.

Do they have to offer me insurance since I work 40 hours per week? That depends on how their group health Plan Document is written. Employers may "discriminate" based on classes of employees and I'd guess their Plan Doc defines eligible employees as all regular full-time and part-time employees working at least 30 hours per week. I'm also going to guess that they have at least one and perhaps several other classes of employees defined that includes temporary employees, seasonal employees, on call employees, and limited term employees. If they wish to make any or all of those classes of employees (which could easily include students) ineligible for group health benefits regardless of how many hours they work, they may.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">