• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

denied insurance coverage b/c of bad credit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mcmolli

Recently, I was denied insurance coverage by All State in NYC because I have bad credit. Is this legal? I am now without homeowner's insurance!!!!! My most recent insurance policy cancelled because my insurance agent did not pay the company in time.

Beth3

If no one here can specifically answer your question, then call NY's Insurance Commission. They should be able to tell you.

HomeGuru

mcmolli said:
Recently, I was denied insurance coverage by All State in NYC because I have bad credit. Is this legal? I am now without homeowner's insurance!!!!! My most recent insurance policy cancelled because my insurance agent did not pay the company in time.
**A: if you applied for insurance and did not authorize the company to run your credit report and they did, then that is illegal.

E

Elvis

They do not need to issue an insurance policy to you - If they deem you a credit risk, you can be denied. Also, failure to pay your policy is a valid reason for cancellation.

Bottom line - If you don't pay, they don't need to extend coverage.

C

CUDALIS

this practice is legal in new york. you must be informed, though, that they are ordering a credit and clue report( loss info) as far as underwiting is concerned, a bad credit score is tantamount to a bad risk. if you have valid proof that your premium was timely, you should be able to have the policy reinstated. payment to the agent is payment to the company.

C

CUDALIS

If, all else fails- immediately contact NYPIUA at 200 william street, in manhattan, or contact a broker to obtain at the very least, some fire insurance on dwelling & contents. through NYPIUA. also, obtain a personal liability policy to cover you for bodily injury and property damage. it's better than no coverage. unfortunately you will not be covered for burglary or theft. this is preferable to your mortgagee, ( if you have a mortgage) placing coverage on the house for an exorbitant amount of money! good luck!

C

CUDALIS

please be aware that the ins. co. does not obtain an actual credit report. they obtain a score based on your credit. this score determines whether or not they will provide coverage, as well as what company they will place you in, ie. standard of preferred.

C

CUDALIS

my final comment is simply this, I cannot emphasize enough, the importance of contacting NYPIUA immediately! having worked as a broker for 20 years, and presently for a public insurance adjusting firm, it's not a pretty sight to witness the distress a family endures when their home is destroyed by fire, and have no coverage at all!!!!!!

D

Donna32669

Concerning your question on credit used for underwriting, yes in many states the majority of insurers do use credit as a tool in their decision to accept or decline a risk. This is a result of historical data that supports the fact that persons with adverse or poor credit tend to have more frequent, and more severe claims....which increases everyone's rates. Also, a person with financial problems may not take the same care to do routine maintenence etc. on their home, again resulting in higher claims costs. I understand your frustration, but you were not singled out. There should be a "pool" in your state that will insure you.

I am curious about the reason your coverage cancelled, the "agent paid the company late" ? Don't you have a receipt? If so, what is the date on it, vs the cancellation date? Are they obligated to accept it based on the procedures they have in place for reinstatements? If so, they may have to reinstate simply because it is a procedure - they ususally can not single out one insured to apply a new rule to. However, if they are forced to reinstate you will possibly be Non Renewed for credit at the end of the policy term. How long had you had this insurance? If some history was established, with good claims experience, perhaps an appeal directly to the underwriter at the company would help. Did your credit deteriorate after they originally accepted you? If not, then ask them what has changed in the risk, if your credit is unchanged or even improved some then again you may be able to work it out. Otherwise, as the prior post stressed, you need to secure coverage immediately. Good luck.

C

CUDALIS

hi donna32669,
nypiua, is the pool in new york, and i should have spelled out the name, it's the' New york property insurance underwriting association'.

D

Donna32669

Credit report - insurance cancellation

Thanks, hopefully he will contact them to avoid problems. In Florida an actual credit report is used, and at this time the company I am employed by an an underwriter does not go on a "score" only. We still have the ability to reason out the report, and not go blind on the computers score. I don't like the
scoring as it doesn't allow any subjectivity, which is really unfair to the policyholder in my opinion. Appreciate your input, you always post a good reply, along with a few others who genuinely want to help out!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">