• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied Insurance Stipend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hollonpk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My question is this:

Previously if I elected not to take insurance, I received a stipend from my employer. Just this year, the union and my employer agreed to put in a clause that one cannot receive the stipend if both parties work at the same place. Therefore, because my husband and I both work and serve the same school district we are left out of the stipend. Isn't this discriminating against married people? Aren't we actually saving them a lot of money for various reasons because we both work there?

Thanks for any help you can give us.

pattytx

It very well may be, but marital status is not protected either federally by Title VII or by your state.

It's been negotiated by your union. Thus saith the union. :p

hollonpk

Out of Money

Thank you for the advice. I was afraid that there wasn't anything that we could do but I appreciate your response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">