• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied last day of pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jim Baker

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I left my previous employer without giving prior notice. This exact action seems to happen with everyone this company has hired. This employer owed me one day of pay. I waited until after their normal pay cycle but did not receive a check. I contacted the DOL. The DOL contacted this employer and I will be receiving a check however this check is not at my normal rate of pay and is short one hour. According to the person I spoke with at the DOL, the DOL could only enforce minimum wage and the employer could short me one hour of pay because the employer said I only worked seven hours (not true). I am not going to hire an attorney for this because it would cost me more to that then the one day is worth. However, I still question the DOL response. The DOL employee I spoke with didn't seem to be able to answer all of my questions. Do I have an other recourse?

pattytx

Not unless your state requires that you be given prior notice of a rate reduction before the work is performed. And knowing the inadequacy of Georgia Wage and Hour laws, I very seriously doubt the state could/would do anything.

It's poor management and bad business, but at least as far as I can tell, it's not illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">