• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

denied short term disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nfaith

What is the name of your state? Tennessee
As a salary employee, I know I am entitled to Short term disability pay when I was taken off work by my doctor. My claim was denied and it has been almost 3 months now. I am now appealing the denial through the STD providers process. Since the company I work for selects which plan the provider is to administer to its employees, would it be unlawful for the company\'s practice of policies and procedures not to align with the plan it has chosen through the STD provider? It seems that the company is strong arming their employees to return to work before time. Do I have ground to sue the company?
:confused:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
When and whether you are entitled to short term disability benefits is a question of company policy. No Federal law and no law in Tennessee requires your employer to provide you with STD benefits regardless of your salary status.

I don't have a clue what you are trying to ask. Of course your employer selects the STD plan. That's how employer sponsored plans work.

On what basis was your claim denied? Is your STD plan fully insured (the money to pay the benefits is provided from the carrier) or self-insured (the money to pay the benefits is provided by your employer)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">