• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied Unemployment Benefits VA 08/16/16

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Confussedone

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? DC
hello All,I got terminated from my job.I was there 2 years working nights I developed an illness and hap to call out .They wrote me up anumber of months back and stated then when i call out in the future I provide a doctors note explaining the absence for any missed day,I complied.

I continued on still was ill etc then they told me they were moving my shift to 3-11 as oppose to 11-7am I agreed thought it would be good actually as I could sleep at night and just get on with life ..
I had a procedure done I sent them my biopsy results Plus Doctors notes for my missed shifts..

I filed for Unemployment in VA a fact finding interview was set up I had phone issues that day and did not participate ..

I filed an appeal they received it I also requested a copy of my file today from my employer they have not replied as of yet..

The ruling for denial was misconduct which was my callouts due to my illness.

Am I fighting a loosing battle here yes I was sick I gave them Doctors notes etc ..I am still filing my weekly claim/work search to VA as directed .

Thanks Mary J

FlyingRon

No, keep slugging away. The fact you missed your call doesn't bode well in your favor. Make sure you make your appeal timely and in the proper fashion: http://www.vec.virginia.gov/unemployed/appeals/faq#02

If your illness was transient and you're eligible and looking for work, they should give you back benefits. Keep doing those weekly reports on your job seeking.

By the way, make sure you keep records of all your attempts including any letters declinging to hire you. At some point in the process, you may be asked to back up your statements (typically if you are still unemployed more than 60 days).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">