• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied Unemployment Benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

denied

My employer terminated me. I began to receive benefits but was then told my former employer said I gave two weeks notice via email. I did no such thing and was actually fired FOUR weeks from the alleged email date. My appeal is scheduled in one week. I'm astonished that such grounds were admitted and then accepted by the State. How can I fight such logic? I can't afford a lawyer because I'm broke and will also be homeless if evicted in Jan. I'm desperate.
helpseeker

------------------
helpseeker

H

Henry T

Ask the staff at the hearing office what the hearings are like well in advance. Ask who testifies, in what order, what you should bring, etc. Ask if you can file anything in advance.

The make sure you do what they say. Go to the hearing and be prepared to cross examine the person who testifies to the Email. Be prepared to testify you did not quit and explain why you would not have quit. Don't be surprised if the boss may come in with a forged email from your office PC or mail address. If there is a pattern of firing, or yours may have been motivated by age, race, sex, etc. an employment lawyer on AttorneyPages.com may take it on a contingency fee.

D

denied

Thank you for the suggestions Henry T. I will follow all of them. I have printed instructions from the State outlining my rights and procedures. This is the most absurd thing to ever happen in my life.
Regards,
helpseeker

------------------
helpseeker

O

Otello

Dear helpseeker,
Absurdity is just the beginning. The labyrinth can unfold unexpected turns. I won benefits at a hearing and received them. About Six months after the benefits ran out, There was an appeal. At the time I was 3000 miles away attending graduate school. My mail did not reach me until well after the hearing. By default I lost. Now, eight years later, I have returned and need to untangle this mess. [i.e., penalties, interest, lien etc. ]Any suggestions from anyone?

Thanks for reading this note!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">