• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dental collections

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Barthlej

I was approached by a local dentist at a work event we were hosting, he asked if i had dental insurance with my employer and i told him yes. He said i should come by and see him as he could help me with my issue. I did and he told me my insurance benefits would run out soon so we needed to get the work done right away and that they had to pay out the max. When i told him i did not have much money to pay beyond what benefits i had he said lets not worry about that. i found it odd that he is in a house converted to an office and he has no other staff just him. He examined me and wanted to pull several teeth right then. I told him i was not comfortable with as no one else was in the office so we scheduled for me to come back in 2 days. I did and again he was the only one there (uncomfortable and scared) he pulled like 8 or 9 teeth all at once then said he would just bill insurance. He had no computer system or anything and would have to mail it to them and i needed to give him what i could so the next day i took him $100. My insurance sent me notice they would not pay as his paperwork was all wrong and no info on him having a business but ultimately after he sent them more info they paid him $381.60 he sent me a bill for $1178.40 i filled out HIS bill that said if paying by credit card fill out below so i did and he sent it back that he does not accept credit card payments cash only and i had to come into his office to pay him (NO I'M NOT) he also called my cell phone non stop for a year leaving mean messages. Now he is taking me to court. I drive by his (Business) several days a week and he has no other staff or anyone else that works at this place. What if any recourse do i have i do not have $1178.40 to give him and some of the items he billed insurance he did not even do.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You're in a bad spot since you agreed to pay him whatever insurance didn't cover. You can try to argue that the procedures weren't done, but you'll likely need an expert opinion about that. At this late time, it may be hard to get an expert opinion, and it's going to cost you a pretty penny (perhaps more than $1,178.40).

The fact that the dentist is a small practice is pretty irrelevant. The fact that the insurance paid him anything tends to show that he is a licensed dentist. You were fine with it when you had the procedure(s) done AFTER having time to think about it at home before returning.

Barthlej

I did not agree to pay the difference he told me insurance HAD to pay $1500 that is why i gave him the $100 that was supposed to be my portion. And i did not go back for the rest of my appointments
When i told him i did not have much money to pay beyond what benefits i had he said lets not worry about that.

Zigner

I did not agree to pay the difference he told me insurance HAD to pay $1500 that is why i gave him the $100 that was supposed to be my portion. And i did not go back for the rest of my appointments
When i told him i did not have much money to pay beyond what benefits i had he said lets not worry about that.
Did you sign any documents? I can guaran-dang-tee you that in the paperwork you signed was an agreement to pay the dentist for anything that wasn't covered by insurance.

Barthlej

oh im sure it did but i did try to pay him per his bill he sent that request credit card info and then he wants to call because i tried to use my FSA card to pay and he said he does not accept credit card payments and does not know what FSA is

Barthlej

I am just trying to be prepared for deposition never been through anything like this thought i might get some insight on where to go next could not get information from Better Business Bureau as they do not find him listed. If i truly owe him i will pay him payment arrangements as i do not have that kind of money but since he is billing for things he did not do i DO NOT feel i owe him.

Zigner

I am just trying to be prepared for deposition never been through anything like this thought i might get some insight on where to go next could not get information from Better Business Bureau as they do not find him listed. If i truly owe him i will pay him payment arrangements as i do not have that kind of money but since he is billing for things he did not do i DO NOT feel i owe him.
The Better Business Bureau is irrelevant. They are a private business, not any sort of governmental or regulatory entity.

How do you intend to prove that he didn't do those things? Do you have an expert willing to testify?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Do not EVER take it for granted that a medical/dental/whathaveyou provider is right when they tell you what your insurance will cover. Particularly do not take it for granted when they say the insurance HAS to cover it, and if they tell you the insurance HAS to cover a certain dollar figure, be even more wary. Pick up the phone and call your insurance company YOURSELF. As you've just learned, he can lie his head off (or, to be kinder, be badly mistaken) about what the insurance is responsible for but his - mistake - rarely affects what you owe.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">