• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dental evidence for potential lawsuit....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would only be illegal if the dentist “drilled on you” without your knowledge and consent. If you made an appointment with the dentist for a specific procedure (e.g., to have a cavity filled), the drilling would not be without your knowledge or consent.

You (usually) will sign a consent form when you go to the dentist’s office.

You might have a hard time finding another dentist if you go to a dentist believing the dentist is out to get you. A dentist has a valuable professional license to protect. In the majority of cases, a dentist will not jeopardize this license by violating the rules that govern his profession or by violating the law.

Is the problem more that you are “afraid” of dentists? This is actually not all that uncommon a fear. If so, you might benefit from dealing with this fear first (therapy) before sitting down to have your teeth cleaned or repaired.
Yes, i went in to do a specific procedure. But the dentist tried to drill on a different location without telling me what he/she was doing. That to me is illegal. Even if it's on the same location, he/she would have to tell me what he/she was doing. LOL...there's a reason i fear dentist hence need protection.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
"Treatment plans" can be very broad and frequently (usually) contain a clause that additional work may be found to be necessary during the course of treatment.

Advice about what? Sounds like you'd be better served by a visit to a mental health professional because your post speaks of some serious paranoia.

Huh? Protect yourself from what?

No, but most dentists will make notes in their patient files regarding treatment plans.

I'm at a loss at this point in your post to understand why you think you might end up in court or why you think your desire to see a dentist raises any sort of legal issue.

Yes.

Anyone can sue anyone for anything, but refusing service to a patient is not typically something for which a lawsuit would be appropriate or successful.

Yup. Also, New York courts have an online case search tool.
Please go troll some where else.

Zigner

I'm sorry, but a legal forum is not going to be able to help you. If you truly have concerns, look up and consult with a local medical/dental malpractice attorney.

Good luck.

Zigner

So Zigner, are you going to stand by the lawful reply?
I stand by everything I've written in this thread.

At this point, it sounds as if you are here simply to demand answers and then argue about the answers you receive.

EDIT: I'll say (repeat) one more thing. You cannot force a dentist to treat you, and if you could, why would you want to? I'd hate to have some pissed off guy drilling on MY teeth.

I stand by everything I've written in this thread.

At this point, it sounds as if you are here simply to demand answers and then argue about the answers you receive.

EDIT: I'll say (repeat) one more thing. You cannot force a dentist to treat you, and if you could, why would you want to? I'd hate to have some pissed off guy drilling on MY teeth.
I don't demand answers. I just don't understand you telling me that it is lawful when you don't know. That tells me something about you.

PayrollHRGuy

I don't demand answers. I just don't understand you telling me that it is lawful when you don't know. That tells me something about you.
It is lawful for you to ask for a treatment plan.
It is lawful for the dentist to give you one.
It is lawful for the dentist to NOT give you one.
It is lawful for the dentist to refuse to treat you.
It is lawful but stupid for you to seek legal advice before a dental procedure.
It would probably be a great idea for you to seek mental health counseling.

It is lawful for you to ask for a treatment plan.
It is lawful for the dentist to give you one.
It is lawful for the dentist to NOT give you one.
It is lawful for the dentist to refuse to treat you.
It is lawful but stupid for you to seek legal advice before a dental procedure.
It would probably be a great idea for you to seek mental health counseling.
Please don't reply. Thanks.

quincy

Yes, i went in to do a specific procedure. But the dentist tried to drill on a different location without telling me what he/she was doing. That to me is illegal. Even if it's on the same location, he/she would have to tell me what he/she was doing. LOL...there's a reason i fear dentist hence need protection.
You generally sign a consent form when you show up at the dentist’s office. Carefully read this form and every paper you are handed to see to what exactly you are consenting.

Every dentist I have ever been to in my lifetime has always talked - a LOT - about the weather, their kids, my kids, and about what they are doing in my mouth. And I have always had the opportunity to stop any procedure if I wanted to, for whatever reason, even while being worked on.

If you have concerns about a dentist in particular, talk to the dentist before any work is done. Let the dentist know you want a step-by-step description of what he is doing, for your own peace of mind.

If you have concerns about dentists in general, that probably requires outside help from a professional. People seek professional help for all sorts of fears - fear of flying, fear of spiders, fear of germs - and I understand that the right therapy can work to alleviate or eliminate the fears.

With all of that said :), ask your next dentist for a written treatment plan. If the dentist refuses to provide one (his option), seek out another dentist.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">