• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dental Hell

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jessica1717

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL
I went to the dentist last week for simply a cleaning and a cavity filling (under a old filling). When I got to the dentist, he noticed another filling (Tooth #30) needed to be redone as well. I opted for no numbing for these procedures because he stated they are fairly small although he recommended it. Before I knew it, he was drilling and he struck the nerve (which hurt like a ***) and my tooth started bleeding. He proceeded to fill it up with silver filling. He then stated he didnt allow the filling to dry and had to redo it. After some more drilling, he attempted to refill #30 for a second time. He then proceeded to drill and fil #29. He then stated he didnt allow that one to dry either and had to redo that (still all without any numbing). I spent 4 hours in that chair and beside the rude bedside manners, I was not satisified with his work--and told him so.

I went to another dental office the next day for a second opinion. They stated the first dentist should have immediatly made the filling of #30 a root canal, not a filling. The second dentist confirmed that he hit nerve because the first dentist charged me for a pulp cap.

Aside from this, I have broken out severely in coldsores in that area which he was working on. I remembered his tools kept leaking (water?) all over my face and soaking my hair but I didnt think much of it. I have not gotten coldsores in a year and now suddenly 2 days following the dentist I have them all over my right lower side of my mouth and cheek.

Do I have a malpractice Issue?

ecmst12

The cold sores would be a coincidence or simply caused by the stress of the experience, but not something you can blame on the dentist.

barry1817

is there malpractice

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL
I went to the dentist last week for simply a cleaning and a cavity filling (under a old filling). When I got to the dentist, he noticed another filling (Tooth #30) needed to be redone as well. I opted for no numbing for these procedures because he stated they are fairly small although he recommended it. Before I knew it, he was drilling and he struck the nerve (which hurt like a ***) and my tooth started bleeding. He proceeded to fill it up with silver filling. He then stated he didnt allow the filling to dry and had to redo it. After some more drilling, he attempted to refill #30 for a second time. He then proceeded to drill and fil #29. He then stated he didnt allow that one to dry either and had to redo that (still all without any numbing). I spent 4 hours in that chair and beside the rude bedside manners, I was not satisified with his work--and told him so.

I went to another dental office the next day for a second opinion. They stated the first dentist should have immediatly made the filling of #30 a root canal, not a filling. The second dentist confirmed that he hit nerve because the first dentist charged me for a pulp cap.

Aside from this, I have broken out severely in coldsores in that area which he was working on. I remembered his tools kept leaking (water?) all over my face and soaking my hair but I didnt think much of it. I have not gotten coldsores in a year and now suddenly 2 days following the dentist I have them all over my right lower side of my mouth and cheek.

Do I have a malpractice Issue?
Water lines can be a source of a lot of bacteria that can create problems. In Ca. there are code sections about what must be done to flush the lines and what type of water is to be used, to minimize the potential problems. It would be interesting to read your state's dental board rules and regulations and see what it specifies. If a dentist fails to follow minimum standards of treating a patient, it becomes negligence and that makes for malpractice, and one no longer may have to show a relationship, because the failure to follow codes makes it no longer important.

If the dentist hit the nerve and you were bleeding, that would need a root canal, because the chances of success for a restoration placed on such a tooth is minimal. It would be worth seeing what the x-ray looks like after the filling was in place to gather how badly the pulp chamber was compromised.

I am not sure of what he is talking about when talks of not allowing the filling to dry. Dentists can place several filling at one time, and it may speak of a technique of this dentist that is lacking. Normally when amalgam is used to fill a tooth it has to be compressed in the prepared filling, and when done properly the filling sets up rather quickly. If he had to replace it, it may that he didn't place it properly the first time, and was not taking responsiblity for that. Who knows. It would be interesting as to what the chart states for the replacing of the filling, or if it was evn noted in the chart. That would be most interesting as well, because it then becomes your word against the dentist as to what was happening. Would be a good idea to put your thoughts and recollections onto paper for future reference if needed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">