• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dental ins. billing for fringe benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

h1andh2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
I work in a dental office and one of our fringe benefits is free dental services for any needed dental work.
Is it legal for my employer to bill my husband's dental insurance for services rendered to myself, the employee? They are getting the checks and depositing them in their accounts.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Of course it is. Why wouldn't it be? They have no legal obligation to provide you with free care.

justalayman

Of course it is. Why wouldn't it be? They have no legal obligation to provide you with free care.

they obviously have no legal obligation to do so but what I have seen in such situations is:

treatments are billed to insurance company IF there is insurance. If none and any balance not paid by the insurance company are simply written off the books.

I think OP is just concerned about the dentist billing for what was probably told to them was a free service. I would think if the OP would research this, she would find that somewhere along the line it was explained as I have above.

pattytx

And just to add to the conversation on the payroll end, if there are any substantive material used, such as braces, false teeth, implants, etc., those are theoretically taxable to the employee, because they are 1) not "no additional cost services (braces cost the dentist) and 2) they are substantial enough to not be "working condition fringe benefits"). Bet the employer isn't doing that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">