• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dental insurance taken away without notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hydroshock

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO

My family was given dental benefits beginning 7/1/09 from my father's company. Though what had happened is we had visited the dentist in August, and later were told that the insurance claim was denied and that coverage ended on 7/31/09.

We contacted the insurance company and were told that the employer cancelled the dental portion of the policy. When we contacted HR, they had said that the benefit was taken away as it was to be provided by the Union.

We later were given the information for the Union and were told that coverage was not to begin until 9/01/09, leaving a lapse for the month that we had visit the dentist.

Well the company had not given any notice that they were revoking the dental portion of the insurance, and now I am stuck with a dental bill of $1179, that is now being threatened to be sent to collection.

On top of this, the dentist only accepts the original policy for the discounted insurance customary rates. Which makes the union's insurance policy an issue.

Both the Union and the Employer cannot seem to work out who will be responsible for the bill. Is there any action I can take to make sure the bill gets paid?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If I had a dollar for every time an employee came into my office and insisted that I had never given them any notice about a change to a policy or benefit, and I was able to reach into a drawer or a file and pull out an acknowledgement form with that employee's signature on it, I could retire.

Does the HR office agree that no notice was sent?

JETX

Is there any action I can take to make sure the bill gets paid?
Yes. Very simple, YOU PAY IT.
Then, AFTER payment, you can pursue your claim against the employer and ask them to provide a copy of the notice that they gave your father.

Just curious though... since this insurance was provided by your "fathers company".... how old are you and how are you covered??

Beth3

On top of this, the dentist only accepts the original policy for the discounted insurance customary rates. Which makes the union's insurance policy an issue. The issue is that the dental insurance provided through the union did not start until Sept 1st. Your dental services were provided prior to the effective date of coverage.

Both the Union and the Employer cannot seem to work out who will be responsible for the bill. You are responsible for the bill. I suggest you pay it or work out a payment plan before it gets turned over to a collection agency.

Is there any action I can take to make sure the bill gets paid You/your father can speak with the HR person again and see if the employer will provide some consideration under the circumstances but I have a feeling you are SOL. Sorry.

Hydroshock

You ask my age and if i'm covered. Yes i'm 21 years old, and covered as i'm a full time college student.

No there was no notice sent, there is no HR department locally and nothing came in the mail (though no one explicitly asked them if there was one sent, they simply told us "Oh the Union is supposed to provide that benefit, we messed up"). We were also told by Cigna, whom the insurance was originally covered under, that we would not have received a notice because of the way the adjustment was made. (They were providing both health and dental)

His HR department has made countless mistakes as far as insurance, it took until almost August to get our insurance cards (which is normal), but then to find out they messed up everyone's birthdays and all claims were continually denied, and getting denial of payment letters through to October. They failed to report to pay union dues for months, hence why there is the lapse in coverage from the union.

Both the Union and the Company are saying that he is entitled to insurance coverage, but they are simply spending too much time bickering, and have dragged this on for months.

ariastar

Do you know if your father was still being charged a premium each check?

The dentist is owed money. The insurance issue is a matter between you/your father and "the company."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">