• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dental question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hellinindy

What is the name of your state?Indiana
What is the name of your state? indiana
I was born without tooth number 6 (right of front tooth). I was referred to an oral surgeon for an implant by my regular dentist. There was not enough room for the implant so I had to put braces on and create the necessary space.(June 2, 2004) A implant was performed on March 23, 2005 by the OS. In June 2005 my dentist saw the implant and said it is to forward and at an angle. He spoke to the OS and the Orthodontist. The Ortho agreed the OS said it looked perfect. To make both of the other DR.'s happy the OS suggested Gum Sculpting and performed it free of charge on six adjoining teeth. When the implanted was given the "all heeled" OK the dentist then put in the post and the temporary crown. He then said this lookes horrible and spent 3 hours of his own personal time trying to create a tooth that would look appropriate. All three doctors agreed to wait 8 weeks and see if the gums would cover the exposed post and see if it would look aesthetically pleasing.

Needless to say, I went yesterday for the final crown fitting and the dentist said it looked horrible. I would have an exposed post forever and I would not be pleased. He called the OS again and said this needs to be fixed. After running down to the OS he agreed with the dentist and wants to remove the original implant, do a bone graph, let it heal then reinsert another implant, wait then do the temporary crown...etc. The OS told me this would be all free of charge to me. From where I stand I have wasted 28 dentist visits this year (paying for a sitter each time), a year of my time, paid for a temporary crown, have to leave the braces on to support a tooth over the implant site for another year, and have to have to have two more surgeries when I should be finished. The OS made a mistake is there anything I can do legally about it? Thanks for any advice!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

hellinindy said:
I was born without tooth number 6 (right of front tooth). I was referred to an oral surgeon for an implant by my regular dentist. There was not enough room for the implant so I had to put braces on and create the necessary space.(June 2, 2004) A implant was performed on March 23, 2005 by the OS. In June 2005 my dentist saw the implant and said it is to forward and at an angle. He spoke to the OS and the Orthodontist. The Ortho agreed the OS said it looked perfect. To make both of the other DR.'s happy the OS suggested Gum Sculpting and performed it free of charge on six adjoining teeth. When the implanted was given the "all heeled" OK the dentist then put in the post and the temporary crown. He then said this lookes horrible and spent 3 hours of his own personal time trying to create a tooth that would look appropriate. All three doctors agreed to wait 8 weeks and see if the gums would cover the exposed post and see if it would look aesthetically pleasing.

Needless to say, I went yesterday for the final crown fitting and the dentist said it looked horrible. I would have an exposed post forever and I would not be pleased. He called the OS again and said this needs to be fixed. After running down to the OS he agreed with the dentist and wants to remove the original implant, do a bone graph, let it heal then reinsert another implant, wait then do the temporary crown...etc. The OS told me this would be all free of charge to me. From where I stand I have wasted 28 dentist visits this year (paying for a sitter each time), a year of my time, paid for a temporary crown, have to leave the braces on to support a tooth over the implant site for another year, and have to have to have two more surgeries when I should be finished. The OS made a mistake is there anything I can do legally about it? Thanks for any advice!

My response:

No. Medical and Dental sciences are not guarantees. Your other dental practicioners can attempt to be "back seat quarterbacks" after the fact; however, they have never said to you that the outcome was "below the standard of care" in your community.

Sometimes, dental and medical procedures just don't work as expected. It happens when you're dealing with human tissue.

IAAL

Last edited:

spiffy55

I really sympathize with your plight. How terrible it must be for you--all that you've been through. Unfortunately, Dentists are human too, and it seems like they are doing their best to re-do the work for free, and that's about the best they can do. Perhaps your state has a peer review in its dental society, which you could contact about what type of remedies you can expect. It is free in most states and very effective.

barry1817

dental implant

hellinindy said:

I am troubled that an implant that seemed out of alignment would have the OS wanting to do additional treatment, rather than correct the problem.

Implants moving and creating a problem with the final result can occur, but the way to treat should have been the removal of the post and reinsertion.

So what I am getting from your post is that the implant was off line, and the OS instead of immediately replacing it subjected you to surgeries, that were not successful and then replaced the post.

There is a problem here, but whether a legal claim would succeed is another matter, because they are looking to take care of the problem without cost to you which is an element necessary for an action.

I would seriously look to your state dental board to look into this matter, as the treatment plan for you seems wrong--and the treatment that was done may not be within the normal standard of care, which could mean that not only did you have a problem but others as well.

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">