• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dentist Drilled too Deep

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ammezo

My husband went in for some fillings. The dentist accidentally dug too deep and then stopped, asked my husband if he wanted a root canal. She said she didn't know how she got the nerve exposed because there was such a large gap between the cavity and the nerve. She said that the root canal is not covered by our insurance AFTER she exposed the nerve. When I got mad about it, she got really worried and basically had the front desk receptionist tell us that she didn't feel comfortable doing any more dental work on my husband. Is there something I can do legally? He's in excruciating pain after the anesthetic has worn off and we don't have nearly anything to cover a root canal. They never said they might drill too far, no warning was ever given - it was supposed to just be a simple filling. It's also a tooth that is used often for chewing, tooth #5.

quincy

My husband went in for some fillings. The dentist accidentally dug too deep and then stopped, asked my husband if he wanted a root canal. She said she didn't know how she got the nerve exposed because there was such a large gap between the cavity and the nerve. She said that the root canal is not covered by our insurance AFTER she exposed the nerve. When I got mad about it, she got really worried and basically had the front desk receptionist tell us that she didn't feel comfortable doing any more dental work on my husband. Is there something I can do legally? He's in excruciating pain after the anesthetic has worn off and we don't have nearly anything to cover a root canal. They never said they might drill too far, no warning was ever given - it was supposed to just be a simple filling. It's also a tooth that is used often for chewing, tooth #5.
What is the name of your state?

If the dentist made a mistake during the procedure and it was not a noted risk for the procedure, the dentist can be held responsible for fixing the mistake.

GoBoilers_MSU

What state do you live in?

If it were me, I would visit another dentist to see if any of this is true, as I assume your expertise isn't in dentistry. Maybe the dentist didn't make an egregious, actionable error. In other words, in dentist #2's opinion did dentist #1 make a mistake. Dentist #2 may even take pity on you and cut you a break, if he thinks dentist #1 did make a mistake. Once you have an expert to corroborate your story, you're in a position to get the tooth fixed by dentist #1 or visit your local small claims court for reimbursement of expenses resulting in dentist #1's error(s). Plus, you'll have a dentist (dentist #2) who can provide supporting evidence for your claim.

ammezo

What is the name of your state?

If the dentist made a mistake during the procedure and it was not a noted risk for the procedure, the dentist can be held responsible for fixing the mistake.
PA, they already tried to pressure him into getting one right then and there, have him a pamphlet of prices and everything.

quincy

PA, they already tried to pressure him into getting one right then and there, have him a pamphlet of prices and everything.
Thank you for providing your state name, ammezo.

First I suggest that your husband discuss fully with his current dentist the complication in the procedure, this before he makes an appointment with another dentist for an examination and opinion on the first dentist's work.

If the deep drilling is a common risk, your husband should have been informed of it. If the deep drilling is not a common risk, your husband needs to find out if the error by the dentist is one that is compensable. I think it is.

If your dentist will not fix the mistake at his cost, and another dentist confirms the deep drilling was a preventable error, your husband can consult with a dental malpractice attorney for a review. Consultations are generally free.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">