• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dependent coverage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Patrick Lawrenc

Junior Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

I reside in CT and my company provides me an office in NY State. The corporate headquarters for my company is in NJ.

I would like to know if the new Connecticut insurance law beginning January 1, 2009 (Public Act No. 08-147) which allows parents to cover certain unmarried dependents up to age 26, under a parent’s individual or group health insurance plan is applicable to me if my company's group health plan was issued to the corporate office in NJ.

I am being told that this law does not apply to policies (group or individual) issued outside of Connecticut, but that it is applicable to individual and group policies subject to Connecticut jurisdiction. My provider is CIGNA which is based in Connecticut.

That you in advance for any information you can provide.



Senior Member
If your employer self-insures the policy, then it is not subject to any state laws, only federal. Most employers of medium size or larger self insure, but you can ask HR or the insurance company whether this is the case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential