• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deposit question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rowan602

What is the name of your state? CO

I turned in my 30 day notice to move out of my apartment on September 29th. The last day of the lease was Oct. 31. I called my Landlord on Sunday, Oct 29, to let her know that I was done moving out and cleaning. She told me she couldn't get out to the apartment to do the walkthrough until Nov. 2. We did the walkthrough, I showed her the things that we were responsible for, verified the things that were on the move-in walkthrough, and she said the place looked pretty good. About two weeks later, I received $100 of my deposit back. She told me I would receive the the itemization by the end of the month, and I should be getting another $20 or so back.

I received the letter itemizing charges in the mail yesterday, and the landlord is charging me $20 rent per day for Nov. 1 & 2. Can she do this? I was out and ready to inspect by the last day of my lease, notified her two days prior, and could have gotten out there any time on the 30th or the 31st of Oct. She had prior obligations that prevented her from making it to the apartment. But that's not my fault is it? I realize that it's only $40, but $40 right now is a lot to me. Any ideas how I can fight this?

This is not the first time this landlord has played games with tenant's deposits. She did the same thing to my friend who used to live across the hall, but I helped her write a letter to the LL and she ended up getting her entire deposit back. I don't want my entire deposit back, but I don't feel I should have to pay for two days of rent when it wasn't my fault that the walkthrough didn't happen until Nov. 2. If I'm wrong about that, please let me know. If I'm right, does anybody have any suggestions on how to word the letter to her disputing these charges?

Thanks,
Rowan

moburkes

No, you are not responsible for paying that. You said that you've written a letter to this person before. Write another one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">