• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Depression/mental illness and liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jeremiah07

I was recently fired from my job essentially for lying about having done work that I didn't actually do. I haven't as of yet sought professional therapy, but I do know that I've been depressed due to stress at work and at home for quite some time, and did indicate such to the human resources director when I was given my termination papers. The only explanation I can offer as to why I did this is because it was the only way to cope with the pressure I was under; I felt I had to create this alternative reality, or I was going to snap completely.

I guess my question is whether my employer can or even possibly will sue me if they suffer any damages from my not doing the work I claimed to have done? Can I be held liable in other words? The business was insurance, and I was a compliance consultant. I will say that I had no expertise in the field, nor was I given any structured training for the job. I don't know what to do and am desperate to know whether I should start consulting an attorney for potential lawsuits? Can I be held criminally responsible?

[This message has been edited by jeremiah07 (edited October 11, 1999).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">