• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dereliction of duty?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jrawson78

Vermont.
I was involved in an on the job traffic accident not too long ago. I was injured by a drunk driver that had hit me while speeding through our work zone. The county in which the incident occurred in keeps pushing back the offenders court date for first appearance. Is there any way I can push this through citing Dereliction of duty on the justice system or would it be a waste of time?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Vermont.
I was involved in an on the job traffic accident not too long ago. I was injured by a drunk driver that had hit me while speeding through our work zone. The county in which the incident occurred in keeps pushing back the offenders court date for first appearance. Is there any way I can push this through citing Dereliction of duty on the justice system or would it be a waste of time?
It's a waste of your time. You have no personal interest — legal standing — to do anything with respect to the driver's criminal case. While a conviction would make your civil claim against him easier, that doesn't give you standing to do anything in his criminal case. Even if you had standing, nothing in your post suggests you have grounds to get the court to act any faster than it has so far. There are a variety of reasons why the court may move back the appearance that are valid, after all. Indeed continuances in court cases, both civil and criminal, are quite common.

adjusterjack

Vermont.
Why is this even an issue?

Your injury was covered by workers compensation for a portion of your pay and for your medical expenses.

Above that and you should be dealing with the driver's insurance company for a liability claim. For that, the facts of the accident count more than his court case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">