• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Derogatory recommendations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AJD

What is the name of your state? WA

A past employer is priding derogatory remarks to potential employers, prohibiting me to gain employment.

Is this legal?
What can be done about it?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That depends. If they are true, or if they represent his honest opinion, even if derogatory they are protected. If they are FACTUALLY FALSE, then you may have a case.

A

AJD

As a professional pilot of 16 years I have not had a incident or accident after 5800 hours of flight time.

In todays environment, pilot refferences are an important part of the job application. 10 year background checks are typical.

As for the derogatory statements, my skills are tested by the FAA every 6-12 months in a pass fail capacity. In an opertaing environment such as this (2 man flight crew) oversight can be an issue but is a natrual problem for every pilot, including the individual who is passing bad refferences.

If a potential employer calls to get a reference and is provided a good character refference and a poor professional one all doors close.

Can this be stopped?

JETX

I see that your followup post to CBG's accurate post really doesn't answer the question.....
"Are the derogatory comments true or the honest opinion of the past employer?" If either, then they are not actionable.

If the comments being made are blatantly false and/or said with malice or negligence, then they COULD be actionable.

An absolute answer would require an extensive review of the statements made, in what context, to whom, and an investigation of the real employment record and history.

Your follow-up post IMPLIES that the issue could be a difference of opinion and very easily subject to an individuals interpretation or evaluation of your professional skills.... and if so, then it is also not actionable.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Top 10 Truthful Things Your Employer Says To Prospective Employers - -

NUMBER 10: I overhear him say on the intercom "Hey, Pedro, What's this gizmo do?"

NUMBER 9: "On his last flight, and for two hours, he flew straight up!"

NUMBER 8: He says, "The guy was cruising at an altitude of 40 feet!"

NUMBER 7: "I caught his co-pilot sitting on his lap."

NUMBER 6: "I was tired of hearing him yell, "Weeeeeeeeee!" on every take-off."

NUMBER 5: "I Got tired of him doing barrel rolls while I was in the bathroom."

NUMBER 4: "He refused to stop wearing a Domino's Pizza uniform."

NUMBER 3: Over P.A. he heard you say, "Heh, heh, heh, this plane sucks, heh, heh, heh."

NUMBER 2: He says that he "recognized you as the same guy who drove him in a cab to the airport."

AND, the NUMBER ONE Truthful Thing Your Employer Says To Prospective Employers - -

"He keeps referring to the control tower as "Mommy."

IAAL

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">