• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

desperate for answers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

southernandi

What is the name of your state? oklahoma
I don't know if anyone remembers, I posted here before. I told my husband I wanted a divorce in May. I was still living there and I started an affair. He found out, taped phones calls and had gps systems placed on my vehicle and the vehicle of the person I was having the affair with. He said he had video tapes and proof of everything. We discussed everything, we began the divorce proceedings June 22 and I moved out July 1.

We had discussed everything being 50/50, he then said he wanted me to agree to him being custodial. He said this would still mean everything was 50/50 he would just get to make medical decisions, etc. He said it didn't mean anything. He threatened me to not get a lawyer or he would tell everything and make my life miserable. We agreed on everything and I thought it would be ok.

The day they went to court to file, he said it would be really hard for me to be there, so I shouldn't come, I didn't. His lawyer brought papers in, in a very big rush, about 45 minutes before their court time. He said read it fast, sign, and then gave me a copy of something else entirely, not even a copy of what I signed.

I assumed everything was ok. We had joint visitation every 2 days and every other weekend since I left in July. The 1st of September he told me that he only wanted me to have standard visitation and that I was going to be paying him. He said because I was seeing people and going out with friends, that I had a lifestyle change. He has always been extremely controlling. His way was the only right way, he was responsible, he thought I wasn't. It didn't seem to be a problem when we were married.

So, I didn't say anything else about the visitation. I got a lawyer. I know he thought I couldn't afford it. I borrowed money. I told the lawyer that I had an affair, that my ex had sent several hundred emails since we split in July. Very harassing, and bullying me. He filed the motion to vacate.

I met my ex yesterday to pay a bill and he knew about everything. We are going to court Sept 28. He told me I better stop or I was going to be paying his legal bills. He said he had emails that proved I knew it was going to be him with sole custody. I told my lawyer this and he said he would look over what I gave him. He said it didn't matter, they presented it to me like everything would be 50/50. Will I have a problem with the motion to vacate? It was within 30 days and there were valid reasons.
I do go out with friends, but I don't bring people around my kids - ever.
I was with them at home for the first 3 years. I'm the only one who plays outside with them, takes them to baseball games, etc. Ex even admitted he hadn't been there for the first several years.

I just wanted this to be fair. I even paid 50 percent of his legal fees because i thought the lawyer was drawing the papers up to our agreements. I really got screwed. Do we stand a chance at 50/50 or does one of us have more ground to stand on?

southernandi

thank you

thank you, i know, i've been doing it for 5 years. married someone who knows how to manipulate. i really though he was a good person, but what he is doing know is purely out of spite. will the courts see all of this (i know you're not psychics), but they should be able to see through his 'holier than thou, I'm responsible, solid and dependable dad and she's a horrible drunk who neglects her kids' routine right?

LdiJ

southernandi said:
thank you, i know, i've been doing it for 5 years. married someone who knows how to manipulate. i really though he was a good person, but what he is doing know is purely out of spite. will the courts see all of this (i know you're not psychics), but they should be able to see through his 'holier than thou, I'm responsible, solid and dependable dad and she's a horrible drunk who neglects her kids' routine right?
Judges are pretty good at figuring out the truth. They see people try to con their way through the system every day.

VeronicaGia

southernandi said:
Well, does he have proof that "you're a horrible drunk and neglected your kids?" If not, stop worrying so much. Also, you need to find out if OK is a one-party or two-party state. If it is a two-party state, he has been illegally recording you. Also, so you know, it is very unlikely a judge is going to sit there and listen to hours of conversation in court. Personally, I think the recording and the GPS system is going to harm him more than help him. You may find out he hangs himself with his own "attention to detail" regarding your life, and the life of a third party.

southernandi

No he can say anything he wants, but he knows I'm a good mother. He just wants to punish me for the affair, and he can't stand for me to come out even halfway even with him on this whole deal. Yes, his attention to detail is a nice way of putting it. He said he hired the private investigators a week after I told him I wanted a divorce, which we had been talking about for a month, and he said that me not loving him was not a good enough answer. He wanted something to use against me.

southernandi

But he wasn't recording my and his conversations, he was recording all of my conversations on our home phone. I had no knowledge nor did the people I spoke with.

MandyD

Veronica, even if it's a one-party state, unless he is one of those parties, he still can't tape the phone calls.

lisagr33

Does he have the proof that he recorded your phone conversations with other people? He might be trying to bluff you so that you will give him what he wants. Southernandi and MandyD-do you think it was possible he was wire tapping?

southernandi

I'm Southernandi and I'm the one who started the post, I don't know how he did it. I just know the guys he hired would do anything to get dirt. Including, which my lawyer said was illegal, placing the gps on the other person's vehicle. I don' t know if he wire tapped or what he did? Does that make a difference.

LdiJ

southernandi said:
I'm Southernandi and I'm the one who started the post, I don't know how he did it. I just know the guys he hired would do anything to get dirt. Including, which my lawyer said was illegal, placing the gps on the other person's vehicle. I don' t know if he wire tapped or what he did? Does that make a difference.
Wiretapping is seriously illegal. So is taping a conversation between two other parties in most cases.

VeronicaGia

southernandi said:
But he wasn't recording my and his conversations, he was recording all of my conversations on our home phone. I had no knowledge nor did the people I spoke with.
Then it is or was also his home phone. Once again, no judge will sit there for hours listening to this stuff.

MandyD

Your lawyer has already told you not to worry about it so don't. Even if he has taped conversations, he won't be able to use them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">