• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

destruction of private property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? new hampshire

what should I do if my mail box was destroyed by a snow plow hitting it, not by the snow push up by it, if the town refuses to replace it. would it still be able to be considered destruction of private property and be subject to legal action

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? new hampshire

what should I do if my mail box was destroyed by a snow plow hitting it, not by the snow push up by it, if the town refuses to replace it. would it still be able to be considered destruction of private property and be subject to legal action
Have you filed a claim with the town?

quincy

You should get an estimate or two for replacement/repair. The estimate(s) probably would have been smart to include with your complaint.

I would wait to hear from the town to see what the town is ready to offer in way of settlement.

quincy

that is my plan however I was just trying to think ahead in the eventuality that they refuse to do anything
If the town refuses to accept responsibility for the property damage, you can sue. But I recommend you learn how much money is involved in repairing the damage. You cannot hope to negotiate a fair settlement without this knowledge.

FarmerJ

When you replace it perhaps you want to consider installing a break away post ( I have one and it is designed to snap the bolts if a plow hits the box ) the post that's in the ground remains in tact and all one normally needs is just new bolts to replace the ones that broke. ( have you tried to learn if others in your area had mail boxes knocked down by plows and asked if they made a claim for repair/ replacement cost ?)

quincy

Towns/cities often will balance costs versus benefits when considering claims filed against it. It is often the case that a settlement will be proposed quickly to avoid the additional costs of a trial.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">