• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Detached condo and personal privacy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

twcPaul

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire

We recently bought and moved into a detached condo in NH. The common land is land around each unit as well as a larger area in the center of the road where most units are located. Each unit has a space 10 feet out from the foundation where owners can plant shrubs, gardens etc. The common areas are maintained by the association.

Our problem is personal privacy. One resident feels he has the right to walk all common areas. He has been seen as early as 5AM, although he seems to honor the 10 foot boundary. My wife and I feel our privacy is violated when someone walks in close proximaty to our unit, even if it's outside the 10 foot area. The space behind our unit is about 40 feet before a slope makes it unwalkable; so he's pretty close to our home (bedrooms, bathroom, etc.)

Our question is about personal privacy. Are there any laws in NH for condos and personal privacy. Most neighbors we've talked with are apalled; and we'd like the condo association to adopt a rule protecting personal privacy although I'm not sure how such a thing can be quantified (set a rule; distance, whatever). One suggestion is requiring people to request an 'invitation' when walking in close proximity to units, but again, wording is a challenge.

Has anyone any similar experience; suggestions on wording, etc.?

Thanks for any help.

Tom C

Last edited:

We recently bought and moved into a detached condo in NH. The common land is land around each unit as well as a larger area in the center of the road where most units are located. Each unit has a space 10 feet out from the foundation where owners can plant shrubs, gardens etc. The common areas are maintained by the association.

Our problem is personal privacy. One resident feels he has the right to walk all common areas. He has been seen as early as 5AM, although he seems to honor the 10 foot boundary. My wife and I feel our privacy is violated when someone walks in close proximaty to our unit, even if it's outside the 10 foot area. The space behind our unit is about 40 feet before a slope makes it unwalkable; so he's pretty close to our home (bedrooms, bathroom, etc.)

Our question is about personal privacy. Are there any laws in NH for condos and personal privacy. Most neighbors we've talked with are apalled; and we'd like the condo association to adopt a rule protecting personal privacy although I'm not sure how such a thing can be quantified (set a rule; distance, whatever). One suggestion is requiring people to request an 'invitation' when walking in close proximity to units, but again, wording is a challenge.

Thanks for any help.

Tom C
It's COMMON area usable by all residents.

twcPaul

bases for opintion?

It's COMMON area usable by all residents.
What is the basis for your statement? Is it opinion, something based on law? It does seem strange to me that people can wander around a few feet from my home without restriction because it is a detached condo. Never would have bought if I'd known that.

TC

Just Blue

What is the basis for your statement? Is it opinion, something based on law? It does seem strange to me that people can wander around a few feet from my home without restriction because it is a detached condo. Never would have bought if I'd known that.

TC
You DO understand the meaning of the term "common area" don't you? :confused::confused:

Close your blinds/shades at night and neighbor having a walk in the COMMON AREA will not see in. Not really a big deal. :););)

STEPHAN

Never would have bought if I'd known that.
Don't get me wrong, but it is solely your fault that you did not know what a common area is when you bought the property. Keep your blinds down or sell it any buy a different property.

latigo

Thanks for any help.

Tom C
Agoraphobia is treatable, Tom.

Just Blue

Thanks for any help.

Tom C
https://forum.freeadvice.com/drunk-driving-dui-dwi-27/20-yr-old-oui-continued-without-finding-dismissed-493489.html

Another "tom" that was a "paul" on another thread. :rolleyes:

latigo

Obviously I'm on the wrong forum. I was hoping to find some adults.

Have a good day chumps.
You typed "bases for opintion" and we are the immature chumps?

And should you ask more chump like questions as in:

"Why aren't the residence of the complex required to get permission and give advance notice before using the common areas which they pay to maintain?"

Then you can expect more chump like answers.

Also, I think the folks in here will manage to get through the day just fine without your sarcastic blessings!

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Here I was hoping you would invite me to visit so we could have a near butt naked toga martian sacrificing the mannequin( that looks super life like ) party so this walking by person would be so disturbed by it that he would not want to walk that close again . (If your not able to find a way to screen / block etc with something to give you more privacy then maybe a option is to sell and move or maybe to run for board and see if you might be able to expand each units so called personal out side exclusive use space)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">