• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Detective says see a doctor or else?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrWatts

California

I made an off color remark during a private FB conversation to a friend. It pissed him off and he decided to just block me and report it. Plainclothes detectives showed up at my door and said I made a terrorist threat. I tried to say how ridiculous that was, tried to go into the context of it, that my friend did this just to be a dick, but the detective shut me down and said context and all of that didn't matter and that it was a terrorist threat, period (I looked up the criteria and it doesn't even come close to fitting all 5 points let alone 2 of them so that was a BS lie), and if I didn't want to be charged and go to jail right then and there then I had to make an appointment to see a psychiatrist/doctor by 4pm or else he would arrest me. By using this dishonest tactic and asking some very leading questions he was able to scare me into talking about all sorts of stuff in my life that had absolutely nothing to do with any of this. And he said he would keep checking up with me which he did after one week had passed. The appointment is not until the end of the month, and then I still need to be referred from the dr to a psychiatrist so it will take even longer. He keeps saying how he is "just trying to help you out bro" but I'm afraid he could just want me to go because he is trying to manufacture a case against me and if I go to a doctor over this then he can use it as some form of self admission to say that something is wrong with me? He has not specified what the next step is or if he will go away after I see the doctor.

Can anyone shed some light on the situation for me?
Many thanks

quincy

California

I made an off color remark during a private FB conversation to a friend. It pissed him off and he decided to just block me and report it. Plainclothes detectives showed up at my door and said I made a terrorist threat. I tried to say how ridiculous that was, tried to go into the context of it, that my friend did this just to be a dick, but the detective shut me down and said context and all of that didn't matter and that it was a terrorist threat, period (I looked up the criteria and it doesn't even come close to fitting all 5 points let alone 2 of them so that was a BS lie), and if I didn't want to be charged and go to jail right then and there then I had to make an appointment to see a psychiatrist/doctor by 4pm or else he would arrest me. By using this dishonest tactic and asking some very leading questions he was able to scare me into talking about all sorts of stuff in my life that had absolutely nothing to do with any of this. And he said he would keep checking up with me which he did after one week had passed. The appointment is not until the end of the month, and then I still need to be referred from the dr to a psychiatrist so it will take even longer. He keeps saying how he is "just trying to help you out bro" but I'm afraid he could just want me to go because he is trying to manufacture a case against me and if I go to a doctor over this then he can use it as some form of self admission to say that something is wrong with me? He has not specified what the next step is or if he will go away after I see the doctor.

Many thanks
I think the detective is concerned enough about you and what you wrote to want you to get a mental health evaluation.

He apparently believes an evaluation and treatment is a better solution than arrest and jail time.

I would follow through with the appointment and be grateful there is a detective who cares about you.

Good luck.

MrWatts

I think the detective is concerned enough about you and what you wrote to want you to get a mental health evaluation.

He apparently believes an evaluation and treatment is a better solution than arrest and jail time.

I would follow through with the appointment and be grateful there is a detective who cares about you.

Good luck.
I appreciate your response. Thank you. My feeling is just that I have to do some kind of due diligence over it. Based on a lot of what I've read, I would be totally foolish to think he is legitimately looking out for my best interest. I'm guessing he knows my friend who made the report.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You have no idea what your friend actually reported to the police. If I was you, if this friendly detective comes around again I'd not even answer the door and if he insists on talking to you I'd be looking to get myself an attorney.

It was a mistake to speak to him at all without being represented by counsel.

MrWatts

And it will be an even bigger mistake to talk to this detective again without an attorney.

Watch these videos.
Thanks.
I thought even though I am innocent this guy could still charge me and put me through hell fighting it or detain me for 3 days just because he can... I mean that is what he threatened me with.

Last edited:

Just Blue

California

Many thanks
What was the "off color remark"?

Mass_Shyster

The sad thing is I've actually seen that first video before. But I thought even though I am innocent this guy could still charge me and put me through hell trying to fight it or detain me for 3 days just because he can... I mean that is what he threatened me with.
Unfortunately, you apparently admitted that you had, in fact, sent the message.

Proving, beyond a reasonable doubt, that a specific person sent a specific facebook message, is incredibly difficult for the prosecution. They have to get records from facebook to show that the message originated from a particular IP address. Then they need to get records from the "owner" of that IP address to show that it was issued to your device at the time that the message was sent. You made it much easier for them by admitting that you sent the message.

I tried to say how ridiculous that was, tried to go into the context of it, that my friend did this just to be a dick
You never denied sending the message, which can be considered an admission by silence. A reasonably person would have denied sending the message instead of getting into the context of if.

I recently had a client who was ordered to see a psychiatrist as a condition of bail, and sign releases so the court would have access to those records. I immediately filed a appeal and had that order reversed, as it stripped my client of his right to remain silent in violation of the Fifth Amendment to the US Constitution.

You NEED an attorney before you see any doctor or talk to the police again.

adjusterjack

I thought even though I am innocent this guy could still charge me and put me through hell fighting it or detain me for 3 days just because he can...
Which is EXACTLY why you invoke your rights to remain silent and have an attorney. As pointed out in the video, NOTHING that you say will prevent an arrest if you're going to be arrested so why give them anything that might help to convict you.

Also pointed out in the videos is that law enforcement officers will lie to you with impunity to get you to incriminate yourself. Even a protestation of innocence could get you convicted. If they have nothing, as this sheriff seems to have, then saying "I want a lawyer" over and over again and saying nothing else would likely have ended the conversation and he would have left by himself or taken you in. Either way, saying nothing does you no harm, saying anything does you no good.

quincy

Actually I have no idea. I think he knows my friend.
Did the detective leave a card? If so, contact the department (or have an attorney contact the department) for information.

If not, assume the detective is not really a detective.

In either case, say nothing more than what you have already said.

You can review the facts of your internet posting, and your conversation with the detective, with an attorney in your area. Show the attorney what you wrote.

If what you wrote could be seen as a terroristic threat, you could probably benefit from a mental health evaluation. Posting threats is not healthy behavior.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">