• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Determine mortgage type on MLS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RJRinFL

What is the name of your state? Florida

Is there a way a Realtor can build a list of possible homes to view based on mortgage type? I'd like to try to find homes having an assumable VA mortgage, possibly to get an earlier, lower interest. I have no way of knowing if that's an item on the real MLS.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Is there a way a Realtor can build a list of possible homes to view based on mortgage type? I'd like to try to find homes having an assumable VA mortgage, possibly to get an earlier, lower interest. I have no way of knowing if that's an item on the real MLS.
Yours is not a legal question. You may wish to reach out to a Realtor.

Just Blue

Call a local realtor and ask them.

quincy

The MLS generally lists the types of sales accepted by the seller (i.e., cash, conventional, land contract, VA/VA assumable).

Because house turnover can be quick, any list compiled could be outdated rapidly. It can be better to have a Realtor search for homes for you that meet your criteria and desired price range.

While assuming a VA mortgage is possible, the lender must approve any assumption.

adjusterjack

I'd like to try to find homes having an assumable VA mortgage, possibly to get an earlier, lower interest.
You might think that's a good idea, but it may severely limit the availability of homes for you.

1 - An owner with a VA loan is likely to have equity so you'll have to come up with some serious cash, or a second mortgage at a much higher interest rate.

2 - A veteran may want his VA loan retired so he can preserve his benefit for future use.

quincy

You might think that's a good idea, but it may severely limit the availability of homes for you.

1 - An owner with a VA loan is likely to have equity so you'll have to come up with some serious cash, or a second mortgage at a much higher interest rate.

2 - A veteran may want his VA loan retired so he can preserve his benefit for future use.
It would be the rare veteran who would not want a release from the loan.

Searching for a home with an assumable VA loan will not only limit the number of properties available for sale, qualifying for the assumption can be more difficult.

quincy

Especially while qualifying for a second mortgage (if necessary) at the same time.
Right.

Assumable mortgages can be a way to find a lower interest rate but the lower interest rate often comes at the cost of a higher initial payment or the need for additional financing. Negotiating a land contract with a seller is another possible way to get a lower rate.

adjusterjack

Negotiating a land contract with a seller is another possible way to get a lower rate.
Land contracts come with their own set of problems. Often unscrupulous sellers with substandard properties and naive desperate buyers who have no idea what they are getting into.

quincy

Land contracts come with their own set of problems. Often unscrupulous sellers with substandard properties and naive desperate buyers who have no idea what they are getting into.
I have bought several properties on land contract without issue but, yes, you need to know what you’re doing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">