• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Determining Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



hello, i am a 39 yr. old man living in ft. myers, florida. in a home i purchased last year for approx. $200000. my girlfriend and our 3 month old son are living with me. my girlfriend is 31 yrs. old. when she informed me of the pregnancy i basically had no say in what to do with her body and the birth of the child. i did not want to have the child and discussed it with her at great lengths. she on the other hand thought the baby would be great and everything would be roses. i believe this woman has entrapped me. why, i don't know. she claims she was on the pill when she conceived. a dna test has been done and shows the baby is mine. also this woman was living with her fiance when "we" got her pregnant. she now wants move out of my house with the baby and herself. this is fine if she wants it that way.
my salary is 3600.00 and hers is apprx. 2000.00 a month.
my question is how much will i have to pay in child support payments for this beautiful little boy? will i have to sell my home? my mortgage payment is 1400.00 month.


Senior Member
since you were not married, your home shouldn't play a role in anything.

child support is determined by the income of both parents. they have on line support calucators that help to determine the amount of support that should be paid. (these are rough estimates)

the NCP is normally ordered to pay a set amount of support, along with carrying medical insurance on the child and being responsible for 1/2 of unconvered medical expenses. this would include medical (prescription included), dental and eye examinations and costs.

consideration is given for the costs of the medical insurance to the NCP when deciding the set support amount. along with any previous child support orders to other children and possibly any medical costs that are routine - such as regular treatments for a condition, that you are required to have (some judges take them into consideration).


in the bottom left corner is a link for a child support calculator. click on it and then click your state. fill in the amounts and items listed and then click calculate. that should give you a rough estimate.

a support order can be reviewed randomly - usually around once every three years - or by the request of either the NCP or the CP. there usually has to be a certain % of increase in salaries or an increase to the support required by the CP. (such as an illness or something for the child that would require treatments - God forbid!!)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential