• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DeviantArt Libel, this time with me.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThunderSnowolf

If anyone knows me by my username, this is the same username I've had on DeviantArt. Right now there is an evil user accusing me of having sex with dogs, casting spells on him, and bullying people to suicide. I was notified about his actions by an old friend and apparently people believe his lies and I don't know what to do. Clearly he plans to send an army of white knights after me. I'm at my wit's end right now and I don't know what to do. I can't afford a lawyer and I don't know if you can even sue someone over the internet without them having to fly to your location.

This has been going on for 4 months straight. What do I do?

justalayman

Then it appears you may have a suit for defamation. Can be quite costly with little recompense

can't afford a lawyer and I don't know if you can even sue someone over the internet without them having to fly to your location.
What makes you think they would have to fly to your location? You would have to sue them in a court that has jurisdiction over them as well as jurisdiction over the subject matter. It’s likely you would have to sue in their local area. Thst would mean you travel to their area for any court activity.

quincy

If anyone knows me by my username, this is the same username I've had on DeviantArt. Right now there is an evil user accusing me of having sex with dogs, casting spells on him, and bullying people to suicide. I was notified about his actions by an old friend and apparently people believe his lies and I don't know what to do. Clearly he plans to send an army of white knights after me. I'm at my wit's end right now and I don't know what to do. I can't afford a lawyer and I don't know if you can even sue someone over the internet without them having to fly to your location.

This has been going on for 4 months straight. What do I do?
People you know in real life really believe you are having sex with dogs, casting spells, and bullying people into suicide? Why would anyone believe that?

How are the people who know you reacting to you after reading these lies?

Do you know who is telling these lies? Do you know why these rather strange lies are being told about you in the first place?

You can have the stories about you personally reviewed by an attorney in your area who is well-versed in defamation law. If it appears you have a suit with merit, you can file suit in either your state or the state of the one who is posting the lies. Both states potentially could be found to have jurisdiction.

You need to keep in mind the statute of limitations for both states, which start from the date of first publication of the defamatory statements. These limitation periods may be different between your state and your defamer' state. You should file suit no later than the shorter of the times allowed.

I question how anyone could believe what was said but, if you have suffered severe reputational injury, the attorney you see can help you with your legal action. These are not inexpensive suits to pursue.

ThunderSnowolf

People you know in real life really believe you are having sex with dogs, casting spells, and bullying people into suicide? Why would anyone believe that?

How are the people who know you reacting to you after reading these lies?

Do you know who is telling these lies? Do you know why these rather strange lies are being told about you in the first place?

You can have the stories about you personally reviewed by an attorney in your area who is well-versed in defamation law. If it appears you have a suit with merit, you can file suit in either your state or the state of the one who is posting the lies. Both states potentially could be found to have jurisdiction.

You need to keep in mind the statute of limitations for both states, which start from the date of first publication of the defamatory statements. These limitation periods may be different between your state and your defamer' state. You should file suit no later than the shorter of the times allowed.

I question how anyone could believe what was said but, if you have suffered severe reputational injury, the attorney you see can help you with your legal action. These are not inexpensive suits to pursue.
Okay. I suppose I'll try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">