• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DHS harrassment over past charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slavaka06

My state is Oklahoma.

First about me, I am currently on my 8th year of probation for child abuse. I have 2 more years to complete. I have followed all of the rules to a T and kept my nose clean.

Recently, DHS has began harassing my ex girlfriend about me. I have stayed in contact with her and her children for a long time. At the time of my charges she was my girlfriend. Also, the charges that were against me were not against her children. I have nothing in my rules of probation sheet about not being able to be around children or go to their school events. The only rule that I am limited by in that regard is visitation with my own daughter. 8 years ago my attorney even told her and her mother that there was nothing saying that I could not be around them. The 2 people at DHS that felt they needed to call her in and talk about me are the same 2 from 8 years ago also. They told her that I'm not allowed to be around any children at all and that I was not allowed to be at their school events which is not true at all and we both know it. My probation officer even allowed me an out of state trip with them for a sporting event.

My question is, what can she do about this harassment? She does not want to "stir the pot" with them because she is afraid that they may go after her children, but at the same time does not want me to not be allowed around them or her.

Thank you for any help on this.

Just Blue

My state is Oklahoma.

First about me, I am currently on my 8th year of probation for child abuse. I have 2 more years to complete. I have followed all of the rules to a T and kept my nose clean.

Recently, DHS has began harassing my ex girlfriend about me. I have stayed in contact with her and her children for a long time. At the time of my charges she was my girlfriend. Also, the charges that were against me were not against her children. I have nothing in my rules of probation sheet about not being able to be around children or go to their school events. The only rule that I am limited by in that regard is visitation with my own daughter. 8 years ago my attorney even told her and her mother that there was nothing saying that I could not be around them. The 2 people at DHS that felt they needed to call her in and talk about me are the same 2 from 8 years ago also. They told her that I'm not allowed to be around any children at all and that I was not allowed to be at their school events which is not true at all and we both know it. My probation officer even allowed me an out of state trip with them for a sporting event.

My question is, what can she do about this harassment? She does not want to "stir the pot" with them because she is afraid that they may go after her children, but at the same time does not want me to not be allowed around them or her.

Thank you for any help on this.
What was your conviction? How old was your daughter at the time of the assault/abuse?

PayrollHRGuy

DHS isn't concerned with the rules of your probation. They are concerned with the health and safety of children and your ex's children specifically in this case. They are free to contact your ex all they want.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Recently, DHS has began harassing my ex girlfriend about me. I have stayed in contact with her and her children for a long time. At the time of my charges she was my girlfriend.......

My question is, what can she do about this harassment? She does not want to "stir the pot" with them because she is afraid that they may go after her children, but at the same time does not want me to not be allowed around them or her.s.
So what, exactly, is the harassment?

slavaka06

I appreciate the advice I am given here, and i knew there would be naysayers before i posted. You have your opinions and it's understandable. I would prefer some facts in law rather than your opinions of me and her though. What is bothering me however, is that this is 8 years down the line. Not a word from them until now. And no, it's not because someone made a random report. One of the dhs people ran into me at their track and field event at school and that's when it started about 2 weeks ago.
To payrollhrguy: I understand the dhs has a long reach, but is it also ok for them to lie to her and tell her that I am forbidden from being around any children or at those events?

slavaka06

So what, exactly, is the harassment?
Calling her in and telling her lies about my ability to be around any children, and not just hers. Going by her job 6 or 7 times per day, and following her around town and to every school event the last few weeks.

Just Blue

Calling her in and telling her lies about my ability to be around any children, and not just hers. Going by her job 6 or 7 times per day, and following her around town and to every school event the last few weeks.
She might have a case for harassment.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
It would be hard to prove the lies, however, the rest of their actions may be harassment. I'd suggest your g/f start keeping a journal of dates/times of these events.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">