• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Did Not Authorize Work, Now Being Threatened To Be Sued...Need Input.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mark1210

What is the name of your state? TX

So my situation is this, I've used the same yard company now for one full spring/summer (2006) and last week I mowed the yard myself for the first time this early Spring (2007). Today I get a note on my door that states :

"This letter is to inform you that we have started your lawn service for the year..." They claim to have mowed my yard today. I didn't authorize them to start service, and there wasn't anything for them to really mow since I just did it less than a week ago. Upon calling the guy up, he said, well you didn't tell us not to. I said, I had no idea you would just start service without a phone call or a notice in advance. He claims he mailed a letter, I told him if you did I certainly didn't respond. He said I will be sending you a bill since we did the service. I said, I wouldn't pay it I didn't authorize the work and there wasn't anything to really mow. He said I'm going to sue you, I said ok, he said a few profanities and hung up.

My questions are, am I liable for not telling him to not start service? Does his letter on my door the day he mows mean anything? Just because I used him one spring/summer doesn't mean I am bound or should have to call and tell him not to this spring/summer right?

I would just pay the $20.00 but he really didn't do anything since there was nothing to cut. Plus what gets me is paying for something I didn't ask for or approve of.

Thanks!

Last edited:

tranquility

Are you telling us he *tresspassed* on your property and *stole* the most tender top portions of your lawn? And, he *admits* this in a lawsuit over $20? Excellent.

Don't worry about the legal issues. I would worry more about accidental saltings in the shape of certain anatomical parts that take place in the dead of night.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">