• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Didn't include child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

California
If our divorce is finalized and we both agreed to not include our child on the divorce papers, what happens if we have to go to court for custody?
We said that we had no children.

justalayman

So you lied to the court? Did anything you sign state that falsifying the document is perjury?

I wouldn’t expect a court to be too friendly given your deception

Child was already born. We didn't want the courts to say how long what parent gets her and when. I did not want to get child support involved.

Just Blue

Child was already born. We didn't want the courts to say how long what parent gets her and when. I did not want to get child support involved.
Yeah...that worked out well for ya as you are now needing a parenting order a few months after the divorce.
You could have achieved that without lying. I suggest you both confer with separate attorneys.

Yeah...that worked out well for ya as you are now needing a parenting order a few months after the divorce.
You could have achieved that without lying. I suggest you both confer with separate attorneys.
No, I'm not looking to get any orders, I'm just asking in general

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
We wanted to have a fast divorce
Let's just say...

There was no good reason for what you did.

You could have proposed a wishy-washy parenting plan saying something stupid like "the parties agree to split parenting time and responsibilities equally and waive child support", or something similar but in more appropriate legalese. (<-- I am not a lawyer.) And yes, there really are people who legally divorce, declare their children as products of the marriage, share joint custody and agree to non - guideline child suppoprt as part of their decree.

So, in conclusion: you have created a bit of a legal mess that might require an actual lawyer to untangle, because you wanted to do things quick and sloppy.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">