• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Diehard X Creditor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


I got my final chapter 7 discharge a few months ago and am in the process of making sure my 3 credit reports show this. :( All do less one creditor, a collection agency, that represented Bank One named Gulfstream Credit. I put this into dispute once and it appears they told Equifax the "Collections Account" was still open. If they continue to refuse what must I do to have them acknowledge the debt was discharged in the BK. They were notified twice. I served papers on all original creditors and the collection agencies.


Senior Member
Dispute it with the credit bureaus as 'included in bankruptcy'.. forget about disputing with the CA. The credit bureau may ask for a copy of your bankrutpcy papers to prove your dispute. There are some disagreements as to whether its wise to do that or not. If you intend, at some point, to attempt to get the BK deleted, then sending your BK papers will defeat that. If you're not after that end, then send the papers.

THEN, I'd send a very nasty letter to the CA with a copy of your creditor matrix (all others blocked out) and your discharge papers, and tell them that they are violating Fed Bankruptcy law by continuing collection activity on a discharged debt. Reporting IS considered collection activity by the FTC. You then tell them that if they do not immediately cease and desist all such collection activities, you will file a Motion for Contempt against them with the BK court and they will have to deal with a Federal Judge.

Don't forget to send everything Certified, RRR.

I used to have, prior to the BK a Cease & Desist letter that I sent to collectors. Is there one out there somewhere I can use in this case that you know of?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential