• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Differing opinion on 2nd pathology~~~

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

whyizzit

What is the name of your state? California

From California

UPDATE:
Hi to everyone...couldn't find my original thread but this will be brief (pun there, cuz I'm going to file suit)
THANKS to husband37 and others - I followed advice to have slides re-done!!

After requesting my slides and sending them for 2nd opinion...to an independent lab... I just received the results which are very alarming - since the basic results were:

"ATDH - 2mm in size and it further states that had it been larger, only then would we classify it as DCIS."
Two pathologists signatures agreed upon this result.

My previous path report used words like "although the focus is small - it is felt to represent DCIS" ((SMALL is a very critical component in this report - it should have been EXPLICIT)

RESEARCH DATA:
http://www.tricaresw.af.mil/breastcd/hospital/read_the_book/chapter10-pathology/10_18.htm
((Atypical hyperplasia has some histologic features of at least one of the DCIS types without entirely meeting the diagnosis, either because it lacks one or more histologic feature, or it is too small in quantity (generally less than 2 millimeters in extent).

Here are negligences :

1)1st pathology from biopsy- that ultimately led to my mastectomy was quite vague --- never mentioning size - and labelled it DCIS
The report was never reviewed by an associate of this lab -before signout . It was a "solo" opinion.

2) 1st surgeon recommended "radical mastectomy"

3) At that time I didn't know that 2nd opinion surgeon should have requested that I provide slides from 1st pathologist ------------2nd opinion surgeon had inhouse pathologists "review the pathology document" and neglected to order the slides, so she agreed with 1st surgeon but --for a non-radical mastectomy

4) 1st and 2nd surgeon neglected to disclose that cell changes at 2mm and under - require only removal and monitoring.

5) Choice was denied me - since I was told I STILL had cancer - after my biopsy and it could spread. (discovered later that even if it was DCIS - it does not spread - )

((Public Medical documentation is easily found in any type of research -- that clear margins of ATDH or non invasive DCIS are considered a CURE.))

With the above knowledge - how on earth could a surgeon state that there was still existing cancer in my breast?

I found out later......there wasn't..........................

There may or not be agreement here - on the legal issues - but am planning on legal action.
Comments are most welcome.

W

whyizzit

re- no malpractice

California

ellencee
I appreciate your comment -

however, it is puzzling to me that a dr or a pathologist can diagnose women with a completely "curable by exicision " condition -- and then frighten them into a mastectomy saying there is "still cancer in the breast" and then find none.

ATDH under 2mm is NOT cancer but some dr's push the envelope and will claim it is DCIS - which is also curable by excision.

For example, a while ago, I went to another Oncologist with my pathology report of the biopsy that led to my mastectomy ......and BEFORE I could tell him I had ALREADY had a mastectomy - his comment upon reading "clear margin" was "Well, this is good news, you're cured!"

Then I broke the news -----and after mumbling a bit - said "Well , er, uh, maybe they found another primary"--- Impossible, since the 2nd opinion dr never re-tested me. He declined to comment further....

You say this is not malpractice -- and you're entitled to your opinion - however -No disrespect, but, ( if you're a woman) have a dr remove your breast and later tell you -- "Whoops, sure thought I was right..........."

Last edited:
A

annie13

Just curious

Forgive my stupidity. Did I read your post correctely? First test results showed "small" area of cancer. Then the second one, (slides) showed none?Post surgery? And how long of a period did you get to decide when the surgery would be and how it would be preformed? I am so sorry to here what has happened to you. I have had two lumpectomies in the same breast. It literally runs on both sides of my family tree. Mom's side, 2 sisters. Dad's side, 3 sisters, and his mother had a radical. Please keep us informed of your progress. I care to here it. I will be praying for you. I couldn't imagine how you feel right now. Only that I am glad you posted so others can learn from your experience. Thank you for posting in all your sadness. Best wishes across the net!!
Sincerly, Annie.

H

Husband37

Hey Whyizzit: As you know I'm stumbling through a similar situation with my wife. At least you now have the facts and I'm not sure what to say, except go slowly within time constraints. Don't get too high with it and please don't shovle out money to an attorney that you may or may not have. Through your research you may know it was wrong, but as some experts in this forum are quick to point out.....being wrong doesn't necessarily mean its malpractice. In the eyes of many Attorneys unless its nearly guaranted in the beginning, you can be dead right and its still not worth pursuing because of the extreme expenses involved.

Good luck.

W

whyizzit

My Post gone??

Tried to reply to Annie13 and Husband37 but----

this site drives me batty - press submit and it goes back to LOGIN-and now can't find my post.........

Will try again - if it has totally disappeared - or if this one does....

ellencee

whyizzit
Your original post, and subsequent posts regarding your condition require that the reader read between the lines and immediately understand what you are saying.
You have interpretted 'medical speak' in layman's terms and I believe incorrectly.
Now, if the doctor did indeed say "whoops", then perhaps you have a claim of malpractice and perhaps you do not. If the medical information available indicated the surgery and after the surgery was done, it was found to have not been necessary, then I do not believe you would have a claim of malpractice.
I am a woman and I don't care to have body parts removed, nor do I care to be insulted by you or anyone else.

W

whyizzit

whyizzit
Your original post, and subsequent posts (DID YOU DELETE MY LAST POST?) regarding your condition require that the reader read between the lines and immediately understand what you are saying.

ANS: Funny- other posters seemed to have a grip on what I'm saying and at least ask questions if I haven't been clear enough...... but then, isn't that supposed to be part of your job as a legal consultant????

You have interpretted 'medical speak' in layman's terms and I believe incorrectly.

ANS: Scuuuze me?? HOW can exact quotes from medical research sites be "tween the lines?" Now you want us all to speak in legalistic terms? We came here for assistance not criticism!

Now, if the doctor did indeed say "whoops", then perhaps you have a claim of malpractice and perhaps you do not.

ANS: ROFLMAO!! (If you read it correctly - I was referencing IF something like that had happened to YOU) Please, oh please, tell me you are NOT basing my case on the "Whoops!" factor, ..............(holding my sides!! tears streaming down face)

If the medical information available indicated the surgery and after the surgery was done, it was found to have not been necessary, then I do not believe you would have a claim of malpractice.
ANS: Duh~ that is zackly what I said here - the first time! "Cancer on biopsy - NO cancer from mastectomy" ---However, I get this weird reply - like "no malpractice existing yada yada yada" -- Now, you change your mind due to my "tween the lines clarity?"

I am a woman and I don't care to have body parts removed, nor do I care to be insulted by you or anyone else.

ANS: Guess "no disrespect intended"........is enough for you. However you are now being disrespectful to me. Kindly remove yourself from my case and my face.......Since I also find other postings of yours to those in crisis to be quite insensitive~

W

whyizzit

Well-- I'm blown away with such legal clarity as "Yuck!"

ANS to "Yuck" : ----Legal statements like "You may have a case or you may not"....... is a legal opinion?? Give me a break~

It appears that some new members here are open to ambush at any given time by some experts.......Wouldn't it be a good idea for us to know just who is replying in a LEGAL capacity and those who are simply fellow "crisis" members??
Some of the postings here by new people, who may be struggling to present "clarity", should not be penalized - - by making light of their plight (Luke's posts for example )

Additionally, if there is a board monitor - it would be very nice to have techinical problems addressed.....such as- clicking submit -- only to find a sign-in request. Huh? I only got to reply cuz I DID sign in....
Tip - copy paste your replies - so as not to lose replies like I did yesterday~

So far, some very nice Non-Legal people have taken the time to comment and share experiences - so I do find the site is quite valuable in that way. I've actually learned from them and hope I can reciprocate in some way.

MY LATEST NEWS: Yesterday, I spoke with John Hopkins Med Univ. -- and their reply was - "Two absolutely different biopsy pathologies. First one is cancer and second one is NOT"-- They suggest getting my original slides and submit them to J.H. Path. Lab...........to settle the issue~

Husband37 - Thanks for the heads-up! I know it's tough- walking this walk - but we need to keep in mind - that those who do us medical harm- have been carefully taught to not leave any evidence at the scene of the crime~ We are just "innocents" to their Modus Operundi (sp)

Annie - Thank you for your kind support - and I feel that you have been very modest in your courage and fight with breast cancer....ANS to your question: Yes, small lumpectomy- biopsy=DCIS---Then mastectomy = NO DCIS (didn't mean to be confusing)

Lauras2u - Finally! A legal opinion. Thank you! I have, however, --- BEFORE collecting my slides, been turned down by several attys---. Now , I have the re-cut slides and new pathology, which positively states NO cancer was EVER there to begin with........Thought this was a no-brainer for filing, but the general consensus from legal minds, so far , has been "not enough evidence" of malpractice.

It appears that lawyers are only interested if a dr - takes off the WRONG breast. Nobody cares how they screw you up with wrong breast diagnosis .....

Soo-- Sent my own letters of intent to all parties involved - and will not give up until I find the right attorney~

Watch the air in your tires, to keep on truckin..........(Plato would have said that if he'd been a cool dude...LOL)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">