• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Difficulty Getting 401k Information From Former Employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MonGA

What is the name of your state? Georgia
I worked for my former employer for two years ending last July (2005). While employed there, I contributed to the 401k plan for a total of 18 months, with 100% matching by my employer. Now, at my current employer, I am enrolled in our 401k plan, and I have contacted the administrator of my previous employer's 401k plan to have the information sent to me to have the funds rolled over into my new plan. The first time I contacted her was back in May, with no response. Now I have contacted her again, and her response (with quite an attitude)was she sent the distribution information to my previous employer, so they should get it to me. My previous employer has yet to receive the information. If necessary, I can get my family's tax attorney involved, but I would rather not have to take it to that level.

Shouldn't the plan administrator send the information directly to me? Can any of my former employer's matching be deducted from my 401k after the fact? Is there any way to speed up the process and get my funds back?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1.) Depends on the plan document

2.) Depends on the vesting status

3.) Again, depends on the plan document.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">