• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Difficulty of divorcing Nigerian spouse once deported

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tokyo53

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I married a Nigerian earlier this year in March and separated right away. He won't sign the Voluntary Separation agreement b/c he wants to use me to stay here. I contacted an INS official who told me if we didn't file any papers with INS, I could have him deported. My quesions are: if I can't get him to sign separation papers while he's here, how can I divorce him after he's deported? Is there anything I can file under that won't require his presence, signature, etc. so that I can get the divorce?

LdiJ

Tokyo53 said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland

I married a Nigerian earlier this year in March and separated right away. He won't sign the Voluntary Separation agreement b/c he wants to use me to stay here. I contacted an INS official who told me if we didn't file any papers with INS, I could have him deported. My quesions are: if I can't get him to sign separation papers while he's here, how can I divorce him after he's deported? Is there anything I can file under that won't require his presence, signature, etc. so that I can get the divorce?
You don't need his signature to get a divorce. Without his signature it will take longer, but you don't need his signature. Get yourself a consult with a local attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">