• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dirty Deeds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pburchett

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

My brother murdered my parents then, robbed them. His potential inheritance 20-25K will remain in a bank account earning interest till my brother goes to trial.
As I understand Kentucky law, he will be presumed deceased if he is found guilty and his portion of the estate will go to his children. Can I sue him in civil court, to acquire his inheritance, for the death of my parents, and circumvent his heirs from receiving anything?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Some Random Guy

If you sue him after conviction, then you are suing a person who has no part in the inheritance and is not receiving a share. If you want his children's share of the inheritance, you should sue the children - unless they were involved you have no grounds for a suit.

JROne

He murdered your parents and what you're worried about is twenty grand? Talk about priorities....

In all honesty, did your parents have a will stating anything to the effect of "If any of the heirs should murder us, their portion of the inheritence will be spread amongst the others."? If not, then the Kentucky law stands. If the will did say something like that then your parents knew what your brother was capable of...

pburchett

JROne said:
He murdered your parents and what you're worried about is twenty grand? Talk about priorities....

In all honesty, did your parents have a will stating anything to the effect of "If any of the heirs should murder us, their portion of the inheritence will be spread amongst the others."? If not, then the Kentucky law stands. If the will did say something like that then your parents knew what your brother was capable of...
The 20 grand means very little to me. There is another motive behind this, as the children’s parents and grandmother (those who will benefit from the inheritance) are giving me pure hell in trying to settle the estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">