• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dirty Laundry Water Backing Into Sink, Landlord wont fix.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueAurora

Kentucky.

(Live in an apartment fyi)
So this has been happening for months. I've told the landlord numerous times and they tell me it's "fixed" to only have it happen again.

Usually I don't complain but having someone else's dirty laundry water back into my sink, almost overflowing onto my floor is very disgusting.
I don't want someone's dirty water that could, AND MOST LIKELY DOES, contain bodily fluids/excretions coming into my sink and soaking & sitting in my dishes.

But that's not all. When the water drains back down into my sink it starts pouring out from somewhere in the laundry room leaving big puddles on the floor, which is a nice way to start a fire. Not to mention it seeps into the carpet in the hallway right next to my door, so who knows whats growing under there.

Is there ANYTHING I can do? Does code enforcement take care of this sort of problem? I'm totally lost on who to reach out to for help and I don't even know IF I can do anything about this.

All help is greatly appreciated!

Gail in Georgia

If the landlord has made an attempt to address a repair request (and it sounds like this has taken place as opposed to your claim that the landlord "won't" fix) but the issue continues, your next step is to contact Code Enforcement to look further into the problem.

Your state does allow a tenant to do what is known as a "repair and deduct" step if the landlord has failed to a adequately address a repair issue but there are specific steps you must undertake regarding this:

Right to Deduct from the Rent. When the landlord fails to comply with the provisions of the lease or the Landlord/Tenant Act in a manner that affects the health and safety of the tenant, the tenant may make his own repairs and deduct the expenses incurred from the rent. Once the tenant has notified the landlord in writing of his intention to make the repairs at the landlord's expense, the landlord has fourteen days to comply. If no action is taken within the time allowed, the tenant may have the work done, paying the bill himself. After the tenant sends the landlord an itemized statement describing the work, the tenant may deduct the amount from the rent. Since the landlord's liability is limited, however, the tenant should be cautioned not to repair overly expensive items. The maximum the tenant may deduct is $100 or an amount equal to one-half the monthly rent, whichever is greater. To avoid the possibility of being responsible for payment of the bill, the tenant should seek legal guidance if there is any question as to the applicability of this provision (KRS 383.635).

Gail

FarmerJ

it is simpler to call your city /county inspections desk and tell them you have complained to your landlord about waste water back ups and tell them how many times it has happened and tell them about the carpet that gets soaked every time. as far as your sink goes get rubber stoppers that are tight fitting and put them in when your not using the sink and if the drainage is so bad and it comes up somewhere else in your unit then still call inspections.

LdiJ

In my state the proper authority to contact is the health department. So you might contact both the health department AND code enforcement.

Gail in Georgia

It would appear the OP has done, well, nothing in regards to this matter but is hoping that the exterminators walking in unannounced is her ticket to legally breaking her lease.

Gail

LdiJ

I would call the Health Dept as well...But we don't live in KY. ;)
Yeah, but the worst that can happen if they call the health department, is that the health department will instruct them to call someone else if they don't handle that kind of thing.:)

LdiJ

It would appear the OP has done, well, nothing in regards to this matter but is hoping that the exterminators walking in unannounced is her ticket to legally breaking her lease.

Gail
Eh...I can kind of see how the exterminators walking in unannounced could be the straw that broke the camel's back. That kind of thing is going to scare the heck out of most people. Its also incredibly stupid and dangerous on the part of the exterminators because they have no idea what they are going to be walking into. Oh yeah, lets scare the heck out of somebody that might actually own a gun...

Me, I would probably have said get the xxxxxxx out of my apartment until I verify with the management that you are legit, or I am calling the cops...or even just ran into the bathroom and locked myself in and called 911 anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">