• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dirty play on opposing lawyers part?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Canadagus

Hi, I'm in Colorado. I currently have a w/c case that was escalated to the hearing stage by the w/c attorney. Bad news for her though!
My absolutley brilliant lawyer brought out many errors on their part ending in sanctions in excess of $5K and an ongoing daily sanction fee (fines) of $50 till the case "gets straight".
When I arrived in court, I noticed the HR fellow from my former employer (where I was injured) and my current supervisor who explained he was told to be there just that morning to "observe the w/c process". I later found out that he was there as a result of a call from the w/c insurance company - who is the same carrier as my former employer!
My question - is this acceptable behavior? I no longer feel secure in my job! I feel that even though this is a public record thing, on some level it was still private to me.
Its Friday night/morning and its driving me crazy.
Is it dirty pool or something more?

Beth3

Early in my career I tagged along to W.C. and U.C. hearings to observe and learn - but these were my own employer's proceedings. Going to another employer's hearings much less being invited by the W.C. carrier to have done so would definitely have been very peculiar. At least in my experience, W.C. carriers don't invite people to attend unless they need them to testify. The carriers have much better things to do than worry whether a supervisor at some other employer needs to learn about the process - training is not their function.

The fact that the W.C. carrier invited a supervisor from another employer to sit in and observe is extremely odd and the fact that he just happens to be your new supervisor is just waaaaay to coincidental. In theory, any participant in the process can invite anyone they want to attend - these aren't closed to the public - but I can only assume this was an effort to intimidate you. Nothing else makes any sense.

Your attorney should tell the judge. Yes, I think they're playing dirty pool.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">