• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

disability benefits questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Evie

My sister who is 48 and single, has been diagnosed with MS. She is slowly losing her eye sight and walking is becoming more and more difficult. Her doctor says she will eventually have to use a wheelchair. The big problem is that she lives overseas, she is an American citizen and has a SS #, but has never worked in the US and because of that has never paid into SS. Is she still eligible to receive disability benefits here in the US and what is the best way to go about doing so?
I would appreciate any help anyone could share with me.
TIA
Evie

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. WHat I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Okay, if the companies she has worked for or with are American owned/partial American owned, she may have American SS coming to her. You need to do a check of those companies.

If not, there might be ways to get free medical help. I would start with talking to an American employment/Social Security rights attorney. He/she will be able to tell you what your options are. I don't think there are many.

Hope this helps.

E

Evie

Dear Lawrat,
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately my sister had not worked for American co's. I called the SS hotline and they were very helpful. It seems that she could be eligible for SSI and Medicaid after passing medical exams.
Again, thank you for taking the time to answer me!
Evie

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">