• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

disability claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sjjerabek

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? wisconsin----i am 52 yrs old and am currently off from work receiving long term disability from my place of employment and social security disability. my original short term claim for herniated disk surgery lasted 180 days. four months into that claim, i severely lacerated my wrist in a kitchen accident severing many tendons, an artery and a nerve. therefore, my claim was extended into a long term disability claim. it took several months for them to approve my long term claim. i finally got the state involved plus the company for which i worked and they finally started to pay me under "reservations of rights". i had many problems with them,---not sending me things that they said they sent---claiming that they could not contact me so they closed my claim---asking for the same info over and over again----not sending payments for medical records and claiming that my doctors were not giving them info when in fact they were. they finally did approve my claim but it was a very stressful event. in the mean time i applied for social security disability and they approved my ssdi within three months. according to (unum, my disability insurance company), they use the same guidelines as social security. well, i thought i was over the hill and when i received my final notice of when my ssdi payments would be starting, i received a letter from unum requesting an update on my ssdi application. i sent them a copy of the approval letter from ssdi and they responded with another batch of forms for me and the doctors to fill out saying it was time to review my claim. and also that i had to pay to have these forms filled out and returned to them within 30 days. if they don't receive them they will assume that i am not interested in pursuing a claim. i thought i already had a claim. they also said that if they don't receive the info in 30 days they will not send me any more checks. i thought this nightmare would end once ssdi benefits were approved. i have been discharged from my hand surgeon after 8 months with a permanent disability and i am still having problems from my disk surgery and that doctor is doing more tests. the forms that they sent this time are the same forms that they sent many times before. my doctors do not do functional capacity tests and that is pretty much what they are asking for. what do i do? can they deny my claim even though ssdi has approved it? i hate their threatening letters and they cause me additional stress----no wonder i don't get better. i have been out of work for over a year now and i really cannot afford a lawyer. time is of the essence as i only have 30 days to respond to them. i really did try to make this short. please advise me.

Beth3

Meeting the requirements for SSDI does not alleviate you of the need to meet the separate requirements to receive benefits from your LTD carrier. They have their own definition of "disability" which is undoubtedly different than the SSA's. They do have the right to request periodic medical re-certifications as well.

That said, it does sound like your carrier has put you through the ringer, perhaps with the intent of purposefully making this difficult for you.

The agency in Wisconsin to contact to discuss your situation and file a complaint is:

The Office of the Insurance Commissioner
121 East Wilson St.
P.O. Box 7873
Madison, WI 53707
(608) 266-3585.

Their web address is: www.badger.state.wi.us/agencies/oci/oci_home.htm

Hope they can give you some help. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">