• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disability Discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Anna3217

What is the name of your state? I am a working disabled woman in North Carolina with a brain disease that causes vertigo, balance issues, as well as many other symptoms. I have been at my job for 7 years. 18 months ago we got a new manager and it all went downhill for me. She has harassed, insulted, threatened me all this time I finally reported it and my employer did move my position and she was out for two months. She is still finding ways to harass me. My main question is do you know what are eeoc violations? I have filed a discrimination charge, and they have taken it which means they believe a violation might have occurred but the investigation can tske up to 2 years. From what they told me a lot of what she has done to me may not be violations, but some might be. I don’t know where to find information on the violations that I think might hold up. These are some of the things she has done to me. I was denied employee handicapped parking yet a temp employee and a employee without a handicapped placard were allowed to use it, and I had been using it for years. This was for several months. When I questioned management they refuse to tell me why and said I would be disciplined if I parked there. They even made me move my car and park far from my office. When I asked for a reasonable accommodation they ignored me. I followed up over a six month period and they ignored it (This was not about the parking) it was something else. I was written a bad performance evaluation even though I never had an issue before. They used my absences as the reason which are fmla covered and they told complete lies in my evaluation. Also in the eval meeting she questioned if I could read. I compare that to asking a parapalegic if they can walk. I suffer from a brain disease and she has the nerve to ask if I can read. She has done so many other things to me, it goes on and on. Are any of these violations ?

justalayman

I’m not clear on how asking you to read is equivalent of asking a paraplegics if they can walk. A paraplegic can’t walk. Are yo suggesting you can’t read?

When you asked for an accommodation, what issue were you seeking to aid? Did you list anything specific that you felt would meet your needs?

Some of what you have listed sounds like it could be unlawful discrimination, other issues not so much. Since you have filed a complaint with the eeoc I’m not sure what you’re looking for. If they take up your case, they do. If they don’t but believe there is likely to be discrimination, they will issue a permission to sue letter. That allows you to file suit on your own.

Anna3217

I didn’t think,of it that way. How else can I word it? I am a competent accounting person and obviously can read. This was in our meeting for my evaluation and she doesn’t like me. She was angry a,ready, and made a comment about can I read when she asked me I’d i wanted to go over something.. it’s hard to explain, it was meant to,insult me.

I’m not clear on how asking you to read is equivalent of asking a paraplegics if they can walk. A paraplegic can’t walk. Are yo suggesting you can’t read?

When you asked for an accommodation, what issue were you seeking to aid? Did you list anything specific that you felt would meet your needs?

The accommodation was to move to another office with hard floors. I have a disease that worsens with fluid build up,such as allergies and congestion. My disease is documented and covered by ada. Well they put me in an office that is dirty and has roaches. And apparently I am allergic to roach droppings or dirt. I have asked them to clean the carpets many times over 7 years and they refused. Well one of the offices in our unit became free and it has hard floors. I asked and they ignored it, I brought it up 4 more times over 6 months and they ignored it. The office is still free. I work for local government.

Some of what you have listed sounds like it could be unlawful discrimination, other issues not so much. Since you have filed a complaint with the eeoc I’m not sure what you’re looking for. If they take up your case, they do. If they don’t but believe there is likely to be discrimination, they will issue a permission to sue letter. That allows you to file suit on your own.

They have taken the charges and are investigating but it can take two years. So I was looking to see if anyone knew if some of the things done to me would be considered violations.

justalayman

Maybe not using a paraplegic for an analogy would be the best way to put it. I understand you were insulted. Maybe an answer like: yes, I am capable of reading just fine would have been a good reply.

It sounds like the accommodation you requested wouldn’t be put of line.

Here is your state’s version of the ada.

https://www.ncleg.net/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bychapter/chapter_168a.html

I haven’t read it thoroughly but it appears you cannot avail yourself of the state relief if you have initiated relief from the federal level.

Anna3217

Maybe not using a paraplegic for an analogy would be the best way to put it. I understand you were insulted. Maybe an answer like: yes, I am capable of reading just fine would have been a good reply.

I didn’t say it to her, I said “yes I read just fine”. I was just trying to think of something the insult was similar to in my submission response once it comes up.

It sounds like the accommodation you requested wouldn’t be put of line.

I don’t understand what this means.

Here is your state’s version of the ada.

https://www.ncleg.net/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bychapter/chapter_168a.html

I haven’t read it thoroughly but it appears you cannot avail yourself of the state relief if you have initiated relief from the federal level.

I don’t understand this either. I am sorry.

What about denying me the handicapped parking I used for years? All of a sudden they decided I couldn’t use it and that a temp worker could and a lady that does not have handicspped parking could. Thry even coned it off and made me move my car. They told me if I us it I would be disciplined. I complained but no one responded Yes I have the placard, and yes they have my certification proof of my disability.

LdiJ

Please stop replying inside the quotes. It makes it difficult to find your responses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">