• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

disability ins. [unum]

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

don james

What is the name of your state? colorado

i have been recieving ltd from unum for almost 4 years and have been thru all of there processes and had all of their accusatory retoric.....by now i have learned not to make myself sick worrying about what they are going to pull next, i wonder how many people just take the hit and try to find a lower paying job!!
i have had funtional capacity done three years ago on my doctors recomendation [i guess that he knew what was coming and thought that he might get a jump on them]....maybe that was a good thing!!
my back has gone bad after 35 years of hard labor...it isn't going to heal itself and i won't have surgery until i can't function any longer.....i have been turned down from ss....because i am able to work.....i understand that......the ins contract says that they pay if i can't do the work that i left [for lack of better word]

i finally my question!!!
in your opinion ......is unum up to something or is this just another means of harrassment??
i might add that i am a stubborn italian and i will do all i can [honestly] to get what is right.
the ltd is being paid by my company [holcium cement]
hope that this is enough info and thanks for listening.....these forums will change the world thru their information!!!

don james

ALawyer

What's the issue?

If the policy provides for payment if you can not do the duties of your PRIOR position, and you can't, you continue to collect. OWEVER, if it say that is the rule for the first X years, and thereafter if you can do any job for which you are reasonably suited by training or experience, and in that case they no longer have to pay (sort of the Social Security Disability test), UNUM will stop paying. And as tis seems to be an employer provided LTD plan, most employer's took the latter approach as it is less expensive to the employer to provide.

D

don james

thanks for the info....from all that i hear [and i do mean hear].....from the ins. person at work is that unum will pay until age 62 or 65.....i guess that i will find out soon.....there seems to be a mystery as to who has the contract and who can understand it.....i am the first to use the plan and i probably am more informed than anyone [at work]....and i don't know much!!

thanks again
don james
i will post my progress for anyone else who it may help...

C

CIAA

Dear Don James, UNUM, now UNUMPROVIDENT, may indeed be up to something. A flood of claimants have complained and filed suit about Unum's denial of their benefits, particularly those with employer group disability. Now a former Medical Director has left Unum and filed suit against them alleging that, "It was [UnumProvident's] primary purpose and policy to deny disability claims."

D

don james

thanks for the tip CIAA.....i don't know if i want to hire a lawyer and fight them or not.....i will try to do what is right...but i am old enough to know that the little guy usually only gets the battle and little else......the way that these companys are dropping from bad management makes you wonder what is comming next!
i go in for an functional cap. test tommorrow....maybe i can find out a little bit of what is going on....but i have my douts...the more they [ins co's] can keep you in the dark the better they like it.

thank you for the insight...any other info wil be wellcomed

don james

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">