• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disability Insurance eligibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ronpa3

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
Last year I was denied private disability insurance by two prominant insurance companies. I have a new job now, and as part of my benefits package, I am covered under the STD and LTD program. My question is: "If I reapply for the private disability insurance, can they still deny me a policy?" I read in someone else's question that HIPPA prevents an insurance company from denying coverage if you already have coverage. Does anyone have any specifics about the portion or section of HIPPA that would pertain to disability coverage? Thank you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
HIPAA does not pertain to disability coverage - disability coverage is specifically exempted from HIPAA. So the fact that you have group disability coverage through your employer would not mean that the private companies would have to accept you. HIPAA applies to employer sponsored health insurance plans ONLY.

Besides which, you misread the question. HIPAA does not require another plan to accept you if you have other coverage; it requires that if you have had continuous coverage through your employer's plan, a new plan (if you change jobs) cannot consider a condition pre-existing.

R

ronpa3

Thank you cbg. Does anyone know if COBRA might apply, or is the insurance companies allowed still deny enrollment. Also, does anyone have any information about the likelyhood of a insurance company such as The Prudential or Berkshire changing their mind about covering someone if the initial reasons for denial have been resolved over a year ago?
Thanks again.

C

CIAA

Cobra, like HIPAA, applies only to group health coverage.

Yes, underwriting considerations may change after 1 year, depending on the circumstances. However, you now have another hurtle to overcome: many companies will not approve coverage where the combined monthly benefit of all disability coverage will exceed 60-66% of your monthly earnings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">