• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disability Insurance overpayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nederebe

What is the name of your state? New York

After undergoing surgery (off work for two months), and receiving and cashing 4 disability checks from my insurance company, I was notified that they had made an error and had paid me from the wrong plan. They now want me to reimburse them (~$1000) for the overpayment and their mistake. I do not have the money to pay them right now. Am I liable to reimburse them for their error?

C

CIAA

Yes, but I would double check their figures and make sure....you never know, their calculation could be another mistake. They should be willing to work with you on a payback plan as it would cost them $1,000 to go to court to get it back.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I do not understand why so many people believe that if they are overpaid they should be entitled to keep the money, since after all, it was the other party's error. If you overpaid someone would you not expect to be reimbursed? Why should it always work in your favor? Why should the disability company not be entitled be reimbursement? Of course you are liable for reimbursement! That's a no-brainer, sorry.

They may be willing to work out a repayment schedule, and probably will. But they are not legally required to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">