• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

disability insurance policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
I was hurt at my job about 4 weeks ago and Iam collecting worker comp and also I have short term disability insurance it is a group insurance they told me I cannot collect it if Iam collecting worker comp I asked for my policy and they will not send it to me nor is my employer Ive tried several times even told them that I will called a lawyer but they still will not send it so I can see if Iam elegiblie to collect that insurance. What should I do or are they acting in bad faith.


I'm a Northern Girl
I guarantee you that if you are collecting workers comp, you are not eligible for benefits under your employer's STD policy. Workers comp is specifically designed for injuries that happen at work; STD policies are specifically designed for injuries or illnesses that do not.

You are entitled to a copy of the STD of the plan, but I promise you that they are not trying to keep you from collecting benefits because it's a sure thing that you're not eligible.


Senior Member
I agree completely. 40blt, stop wasting your time trying to collect disability benefits both from the W.C. carrier and your employer's STD plan. If you were injured at work, worker's comp is your SOLE remedy.

Additonally, I'll bet you any amount of money you'd care to wager that your employer's STD plan specifically excludes payment for lost time caused by work related injuries or illnesses.


40blt, the others are correct. However, you are still not being treated fairly and it is against the law to deny you a copy of your plan. Employer benefit plans are regulated and enforced by the Dept. of Labor, not your state insurance department. The Dept. of Labor's main help line is:1-866-4-USA-DOL. They should be able to help you get your plan documents.

Consumer Insurance Advocates, Inc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential