• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disability Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



A support motion filed by my ex-wife has finally been agreed to and filed. In return for increased family support for one year, her spousal support will be set to zero dollars at that year’s end.

I understand that spousal support of zero dollars is not the same as spousal support termination. I also understand that if she was to have some sort of catastrophe which rendered her totally unable to work, that I would still be responsible for her.

In that regard, there is a paragraph in the stipulation about my being involved with choosing her health plan options, when she does go to work. I also have a clause that allows me to pay for an income replacement insurance that would cover her before she is working. Unfortunately, the only income replacement insurance I can find is long term disability insurance, for which she must be working first in order to obtain it.

She has started working, but as a temp, so no benefits.

Finally to the question. I would like to obtain some kind of insurance to protect me in the situation I have described, like an structured annuity or something.

My attorney remembers some insurance guy talking to the bar about just this issue. She can't remember his name or company. I have searched all over, and can't find any answers.

If anyone has an answer or a resource I can look into, I would appreciate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential