• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disability Medicaid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

micbig

What is the name of your state? Indiana
I have disability medicaid & am getting social security and medicare. My problem is my dad passed away an I will be getting quite a bit out of an inheritence. I do have a lawyer that will help me keep my medicaid. But what I want to do is buy a house on contract from my mom. But the only way I can pay for it is with any inheritance I get. The first distribution won't be big enough to pay for it in full so we've agreed that I will give a big down payment (probably $15,000) now and then as I get more distributions I will pay more. There is a family partnership that I now own shares in. It involves rentals and a farm. My aunt is now the manager & will be selling the houses as they become empty. So that's where the future distributions are coming from. After I get all distributions I will have the house paid for. My lawyer doesn't think I should do it like that though. He thinks I should get a mortgage. But as most people know, social security doesn't pay a lot. I also have 2 kids that I have to take care of. I did tell her though that any child spport payments I get I will give her toward the house. I can't afford a monthly mortgage payment. Is it ok to buy it under those terms? I can't get regular health insurance because of my disability. So I have to keep my medicaid. Prescriptions are well over $2000/mo & medicare won't pay for them. Any ideas?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

micbig said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana
I have disability medicaid & am getting social security and medicare. My problem is my dad passed away an I will be getting quite a bit out of an inheritence. I do have a lawyer that will help me keep my medicaid. But what I want to do is buy a house on contract from my mom. But the only way I can pay for it is with any inheritance I get. The first distribution won't be big enough to pay for it in full so we've agreed that I will give a big down payment (probably $15,000) now and then as I get more distributions I will pay more. There is a family partnership that I now own shares in. It involves rentals and a farm. My aunt is now the manager & will be selling the houses as they become empty. So that's where the future distributions are coming from. After I get all distributions I will have the house paid for. My lawyer doesn't think I should do it like that though. He thinks I should get a mortgage. But as most people know, social security doesn't pay a lot. I also have 2 kids that I have to take care of. I did tell her though that any child spport payments I get I will give her toward the house. I can't afford a monthly mortgage payment. Is it ok to buy it under those terms? I can't get regular health insurance because of my disability. So I have to keep my medicaid. Prescriptions are well over $2000/mo & medicare won't pay for them. Any ideas?

My response:

I just LOVE these generic, ambiguous, vague and non-specific questions at the end of convoluted posts - - "Any ideas?"

Any ideas about what? Do you sincerely believe that anyone really wants to dissect your post, ask you a ton of questions about information that you haven't supplied, and take innumerable hours to try to compare State law and Federal law to your situation, and not get paid?

You're joking, right?

Look, you already have an attorney who is intimately familiar and involved with all the facts - - facts that you haven't even given, or expanded on, in your post - - which would require an inordinate amount of back and forth posts!

Sorry, but I can't help you because I'd like to spend the rest of my life on different legal topics, and not just yours.

Besides, if you're taking $2,000.00 worth of medications per month, what could your life expectancy be within the next 5 years?

Good luck, and stick with your attorney. He's the one who can give you the best advice. Remember, he has your file - - we don't.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

HomeGuru said:
Excellent response IAAL.
Good to see you around.

My response:

Thanks, Homie. Your sentiment is mutual.

You know, I was thinking . . .

Do you think that some of that $2,000.00 per month for medications she's taking is going toward some heavy hallucinogenics?

IAAL

M

micbig

I think you're rather rude. The medicine I'm taking is for my MS. Which includes a shot I give myself that I have to fill twice a month. That's the most expensive. Filling it once is $1200. My life expentancy is just as long as any other woman. MS won't kill me. I just want to know if I can keep my medicaid if I buy the house on contract. I guess I won't depend on this board to give me any answers. I'll call my lawyer even though he isn't giving me any straight answers.

lwpat

" I guess I won't depend on this board to give me any answers. I'll call my lawyer even though he isn't giving me any straight answers."

Maybe the problem is with the one asking the questions. Your attorney may not handle the situation you are describing. Find an elder care attorney that is familar with disability and PAY for a couple of hours of his time. You need to update you will and make provisions for your children. With your medical situation you also need a POA and a living will.

If you are comfortable with your current attorney then make an appointment, take all of the revelant documents and PAY for a couple of hours of his time. This is not something that can be done over the phone or in a public forum. The response from IAAL
was anything but rude.

"Good luck, and stick with your attorney. He's the one who can give you the best advice. Remember, he has your file - - we don't."

Doesn't sound rude to me, just good advice.

M

micbig

He has all the paperwork and I'm paying him $2-3000 for this mess. He even has a copy of the contract for the limited partnership. He just won't tell me why I can't buy the house on contract. He also does just medicaid cases. I just want to know why I can't buy the house on contract like I want to. We're also going to do the will after I get my distribution from the settlement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">