• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disability parking removed from mobilehome park in San Jose CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PayrollHRGuy

It's double whammy coupled with expecting the OP to be servile to some landlord with enough money for a car collection.

Now there you are being classist. For all you know the car the OP needs to park is a 1/4 million dollar Ferrari and is one of twelve she has in her collection.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Now there you are being classist. For all you know the car the OP needs to park is a 1/4 million dollar Ferrari and is one of twelve she has in her collection.
Exactly - xylene seems to look down on those who live in trailers in a mobile home park.

TigerD

Folks ... please.
The OP was clearly offended by something that was not intended to be offensive. Few people fail to understand when I am intentionally offensive - even in a nice way.
Trailer, mobile home, that shack right 'der - it doesn't matter to me. But if the word "trailer" is what prevents the OP from getting the bigger picture, then that is unfortunate.
However, from the tenor of the OP's responses, it seems that the OP is more interested in being offended than getting any actual help.
There is no need for senior members to fight amongst themselves over this non-issue. We all have better things to fight about, right?

I'm done with this thread. Good luck.

TD

I'm not an attorney, but looking at this it would seem that you have your 'home on wheels' on a plot of land that you lease from the landlord. If that is so it would appear that the rest of the 'home on wheels' park belongs to the landlord and is private property. This could mean that the ADA rules would not apply and he is under no obligation to have handicapped parking spaces anywhere on his own private property.
I also can't find any California regulation that mentions ADA requirements in such a park.

quincy

If the mobilehome park is a privately owned park, the owner does not have to provide handicap parking for disabled NON-residents (i.e., guests).

If the landlord/owner rents to a disabled tenant, the landlord/owner must make reasonable accommodations for the disabled tenant AFTER the tenant has made a request for an accommodation and can prove their medical need for the accommodation.

Any requested accommodation cannot place an undue burden on the landlord/owner (e.g., an owner does not have to build a parking lot if one doesn't exist).

It is only a violation of Fair Housing laws and discrimination laws if a landlord/owner refuses to make reasonable accommodations for a tenant upon a supportable request.

quincy

There's a California law firm that has a detailed blog post about disabled parking requirements.
There are actually several good informative online sites where MOC can find the laws on handicapped parking and who these laws apply to and how they are applied.

If MOC is disabled and has a doctor confirm this disability and the need for accommodations, she can request accommodations of the landlord/owner. Not all accommodations are reasonable and not all accommodations require compliance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">